Noobs 1st brew, don't worry I'm not asking if I should dump it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkeonce

Reaction score
So the wife bought me a brooklyn brewing kit with the Beyond Blonde Ale kit. We made it Saturday afternoon and by late Saturday night there was a pretty steady amount of bubbles in the airlock. Fast forward to Sunday night and I pop in to check on it and the beer is GONE. I quickly find it on the other side of the room. No, my beer didn't go mobile. My wife decided it wasn't in a good spot and moved it. Unfortunately the blow off hose came out of the sanitizer and was just laying on the floor. I immediately put it back and still seeing a bubble a minute. Should I be worried?

Chad in Lancaster PA

Yeah during the first few days of fermentation, its pretty much a one-way street.

I cant believe she just moved it without asking, especially since she's the one that gave you the kit in the first place. That would be like unplugging and moving a slow-cooker pot of chili across the room and just leaving the cord on the ground

You should be fine, as was already said, it's still in active fermentation and producing CO2... But next time that happens, make sure to wash it off and re-sanitize before putting back on (or maybe you already did that, but didn't mention it).

My SWMBO does that kinda stuff too... Except she knows that my zone is hands-off, and it helps that most of my stuff is too heavy for her to move...

Now, my keys, iPad, remote controler etc... Anything that is left out not in the man-zone, is constantly being moved.

I was so distraught at midnight when I found it I never thought to resanitize. I guess I'll know in about a month.

Clearly the waiting is the hardest part. I'm already planning my next batch and getting a recipe ready for my spent grain.

My SWMBO does that kinda stuff too... Except she knows that my zone is hands-off, and it helps that most of my stuff is too heavy for her to move...

Now, my keys, iPad, remote controler etc... Anything that is left out not in the man-zone, is constantly being moved.

Are we married to the same person?

The funny part was I wanted to put it in our unfinished, dark, cool basement. She wanted to put it in our sons bedroom (he's away at school). Her idea made no sense at all to me, but since I want her to drink it and she was fearful of the occasional spider or millipede I placated her.

The funny part was I wanted to put it in our unfinished, dark, cool basement. She wanted to put it in our sons bedroom (he's away at school). Her idea made no sense at all to me, but since I want her to drink it and she was fearful of the occasional spider or millipede I placated her.

Don't worry, spiders don't drink a lot, you'de barely notice the volume loss!!!

Don't worry, spiders don't drink a lot, you'de barely notice the volume loss!!!

And so far bugs haven't affected the flavor of my brews yet!

20141030_184226-XL.jpg

I called this one mosquito stout! :drunk:

It was just the end of the hose that goes into the sanitizer? You'll be fine. Unless a bug crawled up the tube nothing got in. Bacteria only move by gravity or air current so they couldn't have swam upstream against the exiting CO2.
But you should think of a name that indicates that any quality issues should be referred to the person who moved the fermenter ;-)

Women are awful. You need a fermentation fridge to avoid any undue troublesome meddling in the future.....and to improve the quality of your beer!

Back