Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Ok so I am currently set up for 3 gal BIAB. Im okay with that, as I like the size for more variety and experimental brewing. However, Im certain there will be times when I want to brew a 5 gal batch, maybe for a birthday party or something. There's no way I can brew a 5 gal batch since I have a 8 gallon brewpot. So onto the question. If I brew a concentrated three gallon wort with all grain BIAB, could I top it up to 5 gal in the bucket? I'm sure I can since this is a part of extract brewing. The next question is how I would account for hop utilization. Say I brew an 3 gal IPA, at 60 IBUs and then proceed to top it up. How would I calculate it out (I do have beersmith) so I can make sure I have 60 IBUs in the finished product?

I think all you need is to find extract kits that are for 5 gallons. I use to brew these in a turkey fryer with more than enough room because you'll end up with x number of gallons wort and then you top off with fresh clean water to the 5 gallon mark.

Not totally against extract brewing but I would like to stick to AG if possible. If not I can definitely consider extract. Thanks for the reply!

I know that you can top off AG I haven't done it so I'm not sure about the IBU thing sorry.... I know I read something or heard something about this recently if I find it I will post it for you

If you are willing to do extract, you can certainly do 5 gallon batches in an 8-gallon kettle. I have 15 of those batches under my belt.

If you have an 8 gal brewpot, you will have no problem boiling 6 gallons of wort down to 5 gallons if you are doing AG. If extract, it's definitely no problem.

Regarding IBUs, I've just used Beer Smith and plugged in a bunch of various hop weights to figure out where my IBUs are depending on when they are added and how much I'm boiling.

You can actually have Beer Smith do the "heavy lifting". It would involve creating a new equipment profile and a little tweaking under the Fermenting/Bottling section. There you would just change the Top up amount for water added and Batch size to what is in the fermenter.

Beer Smith will then do all the calculations for color, gravity and IBU's.
Use some sort of hop sock cause you will be adding more hops than normal at all stages so the dilution does not kill the hop flavor/aroma.

Edit: Beer and Wine Journel Links with good info.
Part 1 10 gallons on stove top
Part 2 10 gallons on stove

I do 5 gal batches in an 8 gal brew pot. Its not ideal but it is possible, you just have to be very, very careful, and never admit on here that you do it because you will get told to get a bigger kettle.
But I will tell you how I do mine and then we can watch everyone tell you not to do it.

Firstly collect 7 gals of wort and get it boiling. Then you have 2 options,

1) Turn off the heat and add hops. Keep some cold water/wort available to pour in in case a boil over threatens.

Hit the gas and keep that boil rolling. Adjust temp to ensure it doesn't overflow while boiling.

2) Keep her boiling and do a bigger hop addition at 30 mins once you have had some boil off.

I do 5 gal batches in an 8 gal brew pot. Its not ideal but it is possible, you just have to be very, very careful, and never admit on here that you do it because you will get told to get a bigger kettle.
But I will tell you how I do mine and then we can watch everyone tell you not to do it.

Firstly collect 7 gals of wort and get it boiling. Then you have 2 options,

1) Turn off the heat and add hops. Keep some cold water/wort available to pour in in case a boil over threatens.

Hit the gas and keep that boil rolling. Adjust temp to ensure it doesn't overflow while boiling.

2) Keep her boiling and do a bigger hop addition at 30 mins once you have had some boil off.

You do 5 gal in an 8 gal pot!?!?! You need to get a bigger pot...
Don't do what he says! :D

Sorry couldn't resist....

Another option is brew 3 gallons one day add to 6 gallon fermenter, pitch yeast and brew the finial amount the next day to top off the fermenter. No diluting needed.

Even if your BIAB process is very efficient, it's gonna be a heck of a challenge getting five gallons worth of sugars out of a three-gallon mash. Not that boiling six or seven gallons in an eight-gallon pot isn't also a challenge, but, hey, if you're only gonna do it once in a while, I'd say the cramped boil is the lesser of your various evils.

Do yourself a favor and just get a bigger pot (10 or 15 gallon).
You will be glad that you did in the long run.

I use 2 16L SS pots and do 21L-24L batches, though I don't do BIAB, I use a CPVC manifold and easily boil down to the size I want. Though if you want a bit more flexibility in your batches why not pick up a decent sized pot and boil a few gallons of wort on another heat source, no need to hop and your calculations won't really change too much so long as you mix your runnings so you have uniform gravity.

I do 5 gallon BIABs in my 8 gallon kettle ... I know, I know, bigger kettle, yeah one day.

But the trick for me is to understand either how big my grain bill is and/or how high is the gravity I am shooting for. I generally don't go over 11.5 to 12 pounds of grist and generally 1.055 max gravity. And in truth, I often end up a little below 5 gallons after grain absorption and trub loss ... but I'm not much under.

Back