Noob needs next recipe (what do I like?) ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpe290

Reaction score
OK, so I have an Amber Ale kit brewing, should be bottled on about the 24th (3 weeks). Everything so far has worked out well, and I am wondering about what next flavor I should start looking into...but i am not a connoisseur in the ways of knowing what all beers taste like what, so I would like some help as to what kind of recipe I should look into next? Here are my tastes/requirements:

No lagering temp chamber available
I would prefer an extract style that I can boil 2.5-3 gallons (so no all grain 5 gallon deals) for a 5 gallon batch.

My tastes in beer:
Cheap style lawnmower beer: Regular Budweiser
Beer flavors that I am pretty sure I like at nice breweries (I want something different than cheap when I go somewhere nice like that) or when I feel like "decent" beer in a bottle:
Pale Ales
Scotch Ales
Oktoberfest
Maybe wheat beers secondary

Beer styles I generally do NOT like:
IPAs
Porters
Stouts
Some of the winter-style ales I recently had in a variety pack:)

So I think I am looking for more of a light flavored non bitter brew that doesn't need lagering...any suggestions on what to look for, name and style wise?

Thanks in advance...

I would look at Pale Ale or Cream Ale, given your list. You may also want to think about trying a mild, given what I see on your tastes.

Check out my recipes for my Sunset Gold APA recipe. It's mid-gravity,but not heavy tasting at all. The hops give a smooth spicy quality you might like. All extract too.

If you want a kit I've always had good like with Northern Brewer stuff back in my extract days. Something like their Irish Blonde or Scottish 60 sound like they could be up your alley.

So you like maltier, less hoppy beers? Lots of options.

I like a nice witbier. It's probably my most-brewed beer.

3 lbs extra light DME
3 lbs. light wheat DME
1 ounce Saaz or Hallertau, or East Kent Goldings (heck, almost ANY hop would work!) 60 minutes.
.75 ounce fresh orange zest, or bitter orange peel. Flameout
.75 ounce crushed coriander. Flameout
Clean American yeast for a Blue Moon ish flavor, or a Wit yeast for more of a Celis or Hoegaarden flavor.

There are lots of other options for ales, like Cream Ales, Steam Beer, Blonde ale, wheat beers etc.

And I encourage you to push the envelope and try some of the beer you put in your dislike list. Especially hoppy beers. Choke down a couple of IIPAs and your whole world will shift.

Get a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer. The book gives an extract recipe for every category found in the BJCP Style Guide. It also has all-grain options if you decide to eventually go that route.

Since you are slowly learning what you like, this book also describes what each beer's flavor profile.

Happy reading, happy brewing.

Some specific recipes that come to mind when I read your list of likes:

Dead Guy (I have a clone recipe posted)
BM's Centennial Blonde (under Biermuncher's avatar)
70 +/- Schilling (Scottish ale- I suggest Jamil's recipe- it's a good one)
A Mock-toberfest (as Oktoberfest is a lager, but you can do it as an ale especially this time of year- I can find a recipe if you need one).

You said pale ale was a possibility. Do you like Sierra Nevada, or is that too bitter? If you like SNPA, I can dig up a recipe like that. I know I have one.

Some specific recipes that come to mind when I read your list of likes:

Dead Guy (I have a clone recipe posted)
BM's Centennial Blonde (under Biermuncher's avatar)
70 +/- Schilling (Scottish ale- I suggest Jamil's recipe- it's a good one)
A Mock-toberfest (as Oktoberfest is a lager, but you can do it as an ale especially this time of year- I can find a recipe if you need one).

You said pale ale was a possibility. Do you like Sierra Nevada, or is that too bitter? If you like SNPA, I can dig up a recipe like that. I know I have one.

Don't think i have had any Sierra Nevada. I usually don't buy expensive bottled beer, will get house drafts at breweries more often...

Thanks to all for the ideas so far, very helpful!

So if I like maltier, less hoppy beers (probably true if I knew exactly what I was talking about:D) --should I be looking at recipes and noticing how much hops are required, or what the OG is, or lbs of LME/DME? What could be the biggest difference maker? Or is the TYPE of hops more important than the gross amount, for example?

Don't think i have had any Sierra Nevada. I usually don't buy expensive bottled beer, will get house drafts at breweries more often...

So if I like maltier, less hoppy beers (probably true if I knew exactly what I was talking about:D) --should I be looking at recipes and noticing how much hops are required, or what the OG is, or lbs of LME/DME? What could be the biggest difference maker? Or is the TYPE of hops more important than the gross amount, for example?

Look at how much hops are used,& at what time in the boil.Earlier in the boil for bittering,later for flavor & aroma.
Og can give some indication of maltiness,in combination with how much bittering. Low bittering will give a maltier beer. Also,the AA% of the hops used.
Hugher Alph aAcid percentage hops are generally for bittering. But some do dual duty,as they also have some good flavor qualities.

The amount of hops and type don't really tell you much until you get some experience. I mean, a barley wine will have an incredibly high hopping rate, but it's not hoppy, as the hops are there to balance the sweetness of the malt.

It's actually the IBU/SG ratio that gives you a clue on how bitter a beer is, while the "hoppy" flavor comes from late additions.

Another new style to explore might be something along the lines of Rogue's dead guy. It's in the range of pale and scoth ale ibus but very malty. Buy a bottle, and if you like it, there are clone recipes on here.

Edit: so apparently if I read the other posts before I jumped on here with my brilliant inspiration I'd have seen Yooper already suggested it hours ago. Oh well.

Get a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer. The book gives an extract recipe for every category found in the BJCP Style Guide. It also has all-grain options if you decide to eventually go that route.

Since you are slowly learning what you like, this book also describes what each beer's flavor profile.

Happy reading, happy brewing.

I'm finally brewing a recipe from this book, my first all grain too, the mild (through a mild darkly). I ordered the ingredients from brewmasters warehouse. Hopefully it turns out well. Great book for ideas; I would recommend it too.

Back