Noob in trouble!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerwalker

Reaction score
Hi all. I just started my first batch of stout 2 days ago. I am using a bucket with an airlock on the top to ferment. It started to bubble the morning after I pitched the dry ale yeast (the kind you get in a kit). It blew a bubble at a time, one about every 2 sec. The problem is now, it is doing nothing at all. It has stopped burping all together. Is this normal? I'm a little worried at this point :( Thanks all!

2 days of active fermentation is normal, especially for a stout which is probably on the lower end of alcohol percent. its acually a very good sign that it started to ferment pretty quickly....are you sure its doing nothing? usually the 'burping' gets progressively slower, but will stay around 1 per minute for w while...

What is the temp of the room/fermenter? Are you sure that you have a good seal on the lid? Is there any pressure at all in the airlock, i.e., if a one piece, are the water levels even or is the bucket pressure moving the fluid? If a 3 piece, is the internal cap being forced up at all? The bulk of fermentation can sometimes complete in a couple days, but it all depends on the circumstances. Did you use a hydrometer to check the OG (original gravity) before you pitched the wort?

Sorry for all the counter-questions, but I had the same concerns when I started, and these were the questions that I got answers to in order to alleviate my concerns.

yep, it sounds like a good, active ferment. just let it ride for a couple more days prior to racking to secondary. if your bottling straight from primary, let it set about 10-12 days before you bottle. this will allow a little extra time for the beer to condition and clarify.

to be 100% certain, take a specific gravity reading on about day 4 in the primary.

Wow, thanks for the fast response! Ya, the room was a bit cool, so I moved it after I seen no more bubbles. Lid has a good seal. I have a 3 piece lock, and I don't see any movement at this point. I can see a ring of crud around the top. I guess this is a good sign? I was just a little freaked out that it only bubbled for about 12 hours or so.. Thanks guys !

hammerwalker said:
. I have a 3 piece lock, and I don't see any movement at this point. !

i would recommend getting a single piece airlock, the three piece seem to be kind of touchy feely...i had a no-bubbler myself that turned out ok, i never used a 3-piece again...

yeah, i had this same problem (if it is a problem) with my first batch.. (which btw i will be bottling this weekend as soon as i scavenge for enough bottles). the first 24-48 hours saw a lot bubbling thru the 3-piece, but after that, none at all. i was the same concerned noob and had the same responses. hehe. hopefully all will be well and the Irish Red Ale will be good to go!

Thanks for all the replies! I have a single piece airlock I will try out. /crosses fingers.

i think youll be ok. if you were having 30 BPM then that seems like a pretty healthy fermentation. congrats on first brew!

cgravier said:
i would recommend getting a single piece airlock, the three piece seem to be kind of touchy feely...i had a no-bubbler myself that turned out ok, i never used a 3-piece again...
To each his own, but when I began, I had one 1-pc. ailrlock and didn't care for it at all. I switched over to a 3-pc. and that's all I have used since. I have several of them. IMHO, if the activity has stopped you either have an airleak in the plastic lid or, most likely, the fermentation is done. Look for the same specific gravity reading a couple days in a row.

Back