Noob in Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botdeluxe

Reaction score
Hey, all... I’m just starting on brewing and I’ve been lurking HBT for a while now picking up lots of tips. Hopefully I’ll pick up enough knowledge to make some decent posts myself.

Right now I’m on my third batch. 1st was a Munton nut brown ale, which came out kinda crappy but drinkable. The problem was that I followed the directions on the can... As I’ve found out from books and this site. 2nd was a Brewer’s Best english pale ale(with liquid yeast), which came out really good. Unfortunately I didn’t start another batch right away and I finished it a week and a half later, while starting the next batch. The 3rd is a Imperial pale ale from the book Extremebrewing, it was a slow starter but it’s currently bubbling away.

I’m thinking about getting a carboy and doing a secondary on my current batch. Plus if I did that it would free up my fermenting bucket for another brew... I don’t want to have such a gap in prod so I can keep up with my beer guzzlin needs :) I’m not really sure I want to get my setup too complicated tho, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever be up for allgrain mash setup. But I’m soo psyched about brewing it’s actually got me wanting to clean up my house to make a brewin area.

And I got two kits in the lineup(I got them for xmas). A Muntons gold bitter and a BB Irish stout, I’ve already picked up the whitelabs yeast for them cause my 2nd batch came out so tasty.

Cheers!
scott

Sounds like you've got a pretty good start. Welcome to the wondeful world of brewing. :mug: Oh, and as far as not wanting to complicate your setup, good luck. We all say the same thing at first. :D

Thanks!

Funny i was just looking at kegging systems... bwhahahahha! I guess in a way that is simplifing things, i'd be happy to not have to mess with bottles...

s

I definitely recommend getting a carboy and do a secondary. For me it made a big difference in clarity and flavor of my beer, and cut down on the sediment in the bottle. Let us know how it works for you. :mug:

i will m3rkury, thanks. The bubbling is starting to slow down so i'm going to try and pickup a secondary today so i can be ready for when it stops.

Welcome. Where in So Philly are you?

I live in IL now, but I'm from Camden. I also live in So Philly, 5th and Mifflin/4th and McKean, still have relatives at 2nd and Siegel (Yo, 2 Street!! Send in the Mummers!!!) and also lived in K&A for a while in '87.

homebrewer_99, i'm at 12th and Reed... not totally deep south but i'm in there :) I like my area alot, I just bought a house here 3 years ago.

Latest posts

Back