Noob from Traverse City MI here, hows it goin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchySalty

Reaction score
Hello from the soon to be frozen north. While getting my mind prepped for the switch from outdoor activities to indoor projects I came across my home brew supplies, remedial as they may be. The unexpected find coincided with this random but suddenly urgent idea of making mead. Now, not a week later, I'm typing this awaiting the 12lbs of Star thistle honey and EC-1118 yeast I ordered. The honey comes from a farm not far from me so that's cool. I chose the yeast from cross referencing recipes, articles, threads on here and then the coup de grace was the brewer where I bartend recommended it for what I wanted to do. Which is this:
5gal batch using the star thistle honey
frozen local tart cherries are available
used in both primary and secondary
EC 1118 yeast
That's my generic plan thus far. Ideas for the fruit come and go over dinner with my girlfriend. The brewer at work said to pasteurize and not use yeast nutrients/energizer. I had planned the opposite. He's a mad scientist at work so I'll take it into high consideration. I would like a mead ready for the summer but know a year would be best.
Thanks in advance on any insight to my half-baked scheme. I'm pretty geeked up to get going!

Old time mazers may tell you nutrients definitely aren't necessary, and then they tell you to age it 3-5 years for it to taste good.

However, lots had been learned about mead fermentation relatively recently. A proper nutrient regimen helps to make mead without off flavors that can be enjoyed young and still improve with age.
I suggest using TOSNA with dry yeast. It's an involved process, but worth it.

Check out our mead subforum for plenty of different opinions.

Welcome to HBT from Ohio!
Cheers!

Old time mazers may tell you nutrients definitely aren't necessary, and then they tell you to age it 3-5 years for it to taste good.

However, lots had been learned about mead fermentation relatively recently. A proper nutrient regimen helps to make mead without off flavors that can be enjoyed young and still improve with age.
I suggest using TOSNA with dry yeast. It's an involved process, but worth it.

Check out our mead subforum for plenty of different opinions.

Welcome to HBT from Ohio!
Cheers!
Thanks RPh-definitely will be checking out the mead forum. I do have to ask what TOSNA means though.

Back