Noob from SML, Virginia (And a question on honey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfultz

Reaction score
Hello all! Been reading about beer and home brew for about a year now (since the day I found out that was something you could even do), and I've finally had the means to make it happen.
I've got myself a simple setup and a Brewer's Best cream ale kit that I plan on starting in a couple of days. I've been knocking around the forum for ideas to substitute for the corn sugar (without mashing), and I thought honey would make a nice addition. I read a thread on literally the same kit and subject, and there was a lot of debate on whether or not to boil, and no actual results. I'm curious to know from anyone with experience with honey has any concise information on how/when to add the honey to make the flavor a actually come through in the brew. Aside from that, wish me luck! I'll keep you posted.
Cheers! Josh

I think your only chance at getting some of the honey flavor to come through from honey in a beer, would be to caramelize the honey first.
I've done a number of experiments with honey in beer in varying portions and at different [points in the boil, and my general advice is to use about 5% max if you are using a standard ale yeast/ beer recipe. Any more and the beer takes on a winey or cidery profile that I wasn't crazy about (too thin).
Although, my last batch with nearly 20% fermentables from honey turned out pretty nice with a belle saison yeast and warmer fermentation temperatures. The Saison characteristics really made up for (or covered up) the lack of body caused by the honey.

I haven't tried out the caramelization technique myself, but it is up next on my to do list. It sounds promising for helping the honey retain some complex sugars post fermentation.

Latest posts

Back