Noob Cyser Questions - Fermentation - Carbing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergazzi

Reaction score
Im about 6-7 batches into my home beer brewing career, and its going quite well, doing PM recipes and small all grain ones (BIAB) as well...

But I saw this part of the forum, and had a day off and on a whim made a 2.5 gallon batch of Cyser (I think) using the following:

2 gallons of Organic Apple Juice
3 Lbs Honey
1lb dark brown sugar
Handful of chopped raisins
A hearty dash of cinnamon

I am using T-58 yeast (It was on hand, no idea when I was going to use it, saw someone had success with it in cider...so we'll see).

Rehydrated yeast in a mixture of water and honey that I heated up with the raisins in it as well...pitched, and its been bubbling like heck for 6 days now.

So my question(s):

1. The T-58 should have a high alcohol tolerance, I calculated the OG at 1.100 (forgot to actualy measure it...)..Will I be able to tell if the fermentables are exhausted, or if the yeast are no longer viable based on FG readings?

Like, if I can tell the fermentation stopped due to the yeast eating everything, I'll bottle carb it slightly with sugar...if I can tell the yeast are passed out drunk, I'll clear it with something, and make it more of a wine/mead.

I guess if the FG gets near 1.0000 I should assume the yeast will allow for carbing? and if it stops in the 1.01+ range, the yeast are probably kaput?

thx.

From what I can see T 58 has alcohol tolerance to only about 11%. So if you had an OG of 1.100 your yeast will die of alcohol poisoning long before you get anywhere near an FG of 1.000. I think your calculation of a stop at about 1.010 is correct.

Just let it sit and bubble for about 6 weeks, put it in a bottle to age for 9 months and enjoy.

From what I can see T 58 has alcohol tolerance to only about 11%. So if you had an OG of 1.100 your yeast will die of alcohol poisoning long before you get anywhere near an FG of 1.000. I think your calculation of a stop at about 1.010 is correct.

Just let it sit and bubble for about 6 weeks, put it in a bottle to age for 9 months and enjoy.

Thats the plan then :mug:

thanks

Back