noob blow of question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I have a noob question and I have brewed for some time now and I just have never had to do this before. some background first :

- I brewed denny conns bourbon vanilla porter on Sunday and everything went great.

- 24 hours later it was like a volcano going off in the carboy so very quickly I rigged a impromtu blow off to save my floor / walls / ceiling

- a good point to note is that the temp was also really close to the high end of the range so i dropped it into a swamp cooler to bring it down

- after 24 hours more the blow off subsided so I pulled the tube and replaced it with a new air lock.

- I noticed the temp was now a few degrees lower thatn optimal so out o the swamp cooler and on went the brew belt. THIS WAS MY MISTAKE.

so I go to bed but I think to myself.... I wonder if it stopped blowing off cause the temp dropped below the yeast range and I wonder if the brew beltt is going to kick it back up... "oh well I'll se what happens in the morning. Guess what!!!! bastard started up again and the air lock was filled with krausen not a drop of water to be seen. Yes I am worried about infection ( I can hear Revvy now !!!! ) though not overly worried Revvy beat me out of that along time ago as well as expierence. So on to the noob question .... I don;t like the idea of pulling airlocks on and off I've done it 3 times now can I just leave this blow off on until I go into to secondary to infuse the vanilla beans ? I rarely have used a blow off but I will now regarlessly though I have limited expierence at this point and would appreciate any input if it's is ok to leave a blow off on for appx 3 weeks without issue.

-

blow off.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A blow-off is just another form of airlock. If you don't mind having the hose and jug sitting there, then leave it. No nasties will make their way in, as long as everything is sealed tight.

definitely put star san in the jug.

i think you could even do an easier set up than your pic. just take a used plastic coke bottle (12oz or whatever they are these days)... sanitize it, fill it with sanitizer then stick the other end of the hose right in there. don't forget to sanitize both ends of the hose!

definitely put star san in the jug.

i think you could even do an easier set up than your pic. just take a used plastic coke bottle (12oz or whatever they are these days)... sanitize it, fill it with sanitizer then stick the other end of the hose right in there. don't forget to sanitize both ends of the hose!

Ok so I should put sanitizer in the bottle / jug / whatever has the liquid in it ?

my only concern is with a smaller bttle is that on the first day it blew off like 2 quarts I was amazed I started with a bit over 5.5 gallons and by the next day was just above 5.25 gallon !! and tons of yeast in the 1 gallon jug :mad:

I use a gallon bucket and a large diameter hose that fits tightly inside the neck of the carboy. Fill the bucket half full of water and put the hose in it. Done.

I do this for all my primary ferms.

I use starsan (or, rather, saniclean) in the blow-off jug, but I don't think it matters except in terms of preventing nastiness in the jug itself. It'd be pretty difficult for anything to make its way up the tube with the steady stream of CO2 coming out. Your beer will be fine either way.

I'm also in the camp of using a blow-off tube in place of an airlock any time that active fermentation is at all likely. If it ever prevents even a single blown top, the tiny inconvenience of the hose and jug will have paid for themselves.

zeg said:
I use starsan (or, rather, saniclean) in the blow-off jug, but I don't think it matters except in terms of preventing nastiness in the jug itself. It'd be pretty difficult for anything to make its way up the tube with the steady stream of CO2 coming out. Your beer will be fine either way.

I'm also in the camp of using a blow-off tube in place of an airlock any time that active fermentation is at all likely. If it ever prevents even a single blown top, the tiny inconvenience of the hose and jug will have paid for themselves.

Totally agree.

Back