Non-techy person with a (dumb) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a TV show on the history channel that Bob wants to watch but we missed the first airing. It is available online on the History Channel's website.

Can we watch it online, via my iphone 5, and use an HDMI cable to view it on the TV (which does have an HDMI hook up)?

What do I need for my iPhone to hook it up to an HDMI cable, if all of this is possible?

Found an adapter on Amazon. It says it works with 4 and 4s??

I just did a google search for iPhone to HDMI

Couldn't make a link work.

Sorry, Yooper, can't help you. When I lived in northern MI as a kid, our phone was a wall-mounted box with a receiver on a hook on one side, a mouthpiece on the front just below two bells, and a crank on the other side. Seriously.

There is a TV show on the history channel that Bob wants to watch but we missed the first airing. It is available online on the History Channel's website.

Can we watch it online, via my iphone 5, and use an HDMI cable to view it on the TV (which does have an HDMI hook up)?

What do I need for my iPhone to hook it up to an HDMI cable, if all of this is possible?

Just tell me what the show is and I'll hook you up Yoop.

Why don't you just watch it online on your PC, if it's just one show?

Just tell me what the show is and I'll hook you up Yoop.

Why don't you just watch it online on your PC, if it's just one show?

It's weekly, on Thursdays, at 9 C (10E) on the History Channel, called "Alone".

It's not for me, but Bob watches it. That's ONE show ever that he wants to watch. Otherwise, we watch very little TV at all.

We have our local city cable, so that's how we even know about it!

We have used a hdmi dongle at work and haven't had issues with ipads. The resolution is already greater than most tvs so that shouldn't be an issue. Amazon or monoprice should have what you need.

I think Chromecast is a good option. Costs about $35. I really like if for streaming to the TV.

I think Chromecast is a good option. Costs about $35. I really like if for streaming to the TV.

That should work! We have only one TV that is new-ish, and it's really small, so it's not like we'd do it very often at all. The TV is about the same size as my computer monitor.

We have several TVs, from when my kids were living at home as teenagers. But only the little one that my daughter gave us recently is capable of HD and of having something that connects to HDMI or anything else.

Our living room TV is about 15 years old or more.

Downloading it now. If you want I can get you a link to watch on your laptop or stream to a Chromecast stick if you want.

Might be something I'd want to start watching anyway.

Is watching on your PC not an option?

No. I mean, it is- but the TV is out on the screened in porch. It's just a nicer place to be for the rare times we watch TV.

Can I instead use my PC (and not my Smartphone), and stream to the TV via an HDMI? I have a big harddrive, and my computer is fast, so that may be something better with just a cable if it's possible. Then I could watch downloaded things as well.

Like I said, it's very rare we even turn on the TV but Bob really got into this "Alone" show and we don't have a DVR or anything like that.

We subscribe to Netflix, and some of the programming we prefer to watch is only available on our computers so we use the HDMI to tv option.. If you have an HDMI connector on your computer, both audio and video will stream through to your tv. :)
Btw Yooper, there is no such thing as a dumb question, ever.

No. I mean, it is- but the TV is out on the screened in porch. It's just a nicer place to be for the rare times we watch TV.

Can I instead use my PC (and not my Smartphone), and stream to the TV via an HDMI? I have a big harddrive, and my computer is fast, so that may be something better with just a cable if it's possible. Then I could watch downloaded things as well.

Like I said, it's very rare we even turn on the TV but Bob really got into this "Alone" show and we don't have a DVR or anything like that.

If your computer has an HDMI port and you have a cable long enough to reach the TV, going that route will be faster and easier than getting a chromecast or some other adapter. A wireless keyboard/mouse makes this option very nice.

I will say that I use my chromecast a lot more than I thought I would even with a smart TV. It's much easier (for me) to control the streaming media from my phone. If you have the desire to use your TV for any media (music, movies, pictures, TV shows, or anything else that you can view in Google Chrome) a chromecast might be worth looking into.

Like others said, Chromecast is probably the way to go. It's cheap. It's a WiFi -> HDMI bridge for your TV. So, if your WiiFi can support video, Chromecast will work. I don't have one, but I think you fire up Google Chrome (browser) and send ("cast") any tab, or the whole desktop, to the TV. You might have to install a Chrome extension to make this work, but that's really simple to do.

If you've got the episodes there on your PC as files, just use VLC player to play them and cast the desktop to your PC. VLC is a media player that is far more efficient than Windows Media Player (even in Win10, I just tested this weekend). VLC is free, just google it, download/install/make default for all video media types. Then dbl-click your media. Cast the desktop to TV, switch to full-screen in VLC, and enjoy.

Yooper, if this is all for one episode, I would just go with running an HDMI or serial cable from your PC to the TV and streaming it through VLC media player...you can run to WalMart and grab either one of these and come home and watch it right away. Especially if someone is downloading it for you and can send you the file, it seems like this is the most efficient way, if it is a one time thing. Otherwise, the alternate options Chromecast, what-have-you, are great if you plan to make it a reoccurring thing.

ok, well, if there are no stupid questions- what does an HDMI connection on a computer look like?

I have about 8 USB ports, but then there is this one that looks different:
connection1.JPG

connection2.JPG

It would be cheaper for sure to buy one HDMI cable and run it to the TV via my computer and leave my smartphone out of it which would need the adapter to the iphone plus the HDMI cable.

ok, well, if there are no stupid questions- what does an HDMI connection on a computer look like?

I have about 8 USB ports, but then there is this one that looks different:
View attachment 295603

View attachment 295604

It would be cheaper for sure to buy one HDMI cable and run it to the TV via my computer and leave my smartphone out of it which would need the adapter to the iphone plus the HDMI cable.

That one with the D next to it is Displayport, not HDMI.

You want this:

hdmi-port-625x300-c.jpg

You can get a long HDMI cable online for $7+tax, maybe free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. Me, I'd still get the chromecast because it opens some neat doors (use your TV as a computer monitor for laptop, stream other content / music to devices with an HDMI connector, etc). For example, I have a audio receiver that has a whole row of HDMI connectors on the back. I could stream music from my computer to my receiver, and the receiver could play that music. That would be cool.

But it's your dime.

I took a photo. What I have is in that photo. But I'll look again, in case it's somewhere else? My computer is about 1.5 years old.

Probably the HDMI plug is already used by your current monitor. You can just unplug and look at it while it's on (HDMI is a "hot-swappable" interface). In that case, it's possible to just replace your monitor with the long cable (I hate this option, ack).

It's also possible you have another HDMI connector on the front of the computer - have a look.

Even if you find it, you're going to go over some hurdles to use it. You'd have to get into your video card utility, and either mirror your main screen to this second HDMI port, or set up a multiple displays and then blindly put stuff on it. Really depends on the hardware and software you have on your box.

Just get the chromecast and don't look back. Believe me, once you get it working, you'll find lots of other uses. It's like getting a microwave, you didn't think you needed one until you got it, then you wonder how you lived without it.

Probably the HDMI plug is already used by your current monitor. You can just unplug and look at it while it's on (HDMI is a "hot-swappable" interface). In that case, it's possible to just replace your monitor with the long cable (I hate this option, ack).

It's also possible you have another HDMI connector on the front of the computer - have a look.

Even if you find it, you're going to go over some hurdles to use it. You'd have to get into your video card utility, and either mirror your main screen to this second HDMI port, or set up a multiple displays and then blindly put stuff on it. Really depends on the hardware and software you have on your box.

Just get the chromecast and don't look back. Believe me, once you get it working, you'll find lots of other uses. It's like getting a microwave, you didn't think you needed one until you got it, then you wonder how you lived without it.

Ha- I believe you. But we are dinosaurs as far as TV and stuff like that. I LOVE (love, love, love) my computer and internet but it's more for "information" on our hobbies, like gardening, soapmaking, brewing, etc. and even the news- but we never watch TV or movies. Ever. So the fact that Bob wants to follow this TV show is pretty amazing.

Perhaps more amazing is that he can't stay up from 9P-10P to watch it!

Yooper, I don't remember who originally said this but it kinda describes us old guys,"I used to play 18 holes a day, and now it takes me 18 days to play one hole." Say hello to Bob for me, will you?

It's entirely possible that your computer doesn't come with an HDMI port, but it's not really that common these days. I get plenty of computers from Dell for work that come with DisplayPort instead for some bullsht reason. I have to make sure to configure the video card or make sure to get an adapter.

What brand is your computer?

Chromecast is really the easiest way to get around not having that HDMI port. It's pretty flexible, but might take a few minutes of reading on how to configure it. Shouldn't be any big deal for you.

You might also get a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter if your DP carries the audio (It probably does if it's that new).

DP is actually a nice format when compared to HDMI, but HDMI has the advantage in being installed in most all consumer devices using video and audio, so most people want to be compatible with it rather than DP.

It's entirely possible that your computer doesn't come with an HDMI port, but it's not really that common these days. I get plenty of computers from Dell for work that come with DisplayPort instead for some bullsht reason. I have to make sure to configure the video card or make sure to get an adapter.

What brand is your computer?

Chromecast is really the easiest way to get around not having that HDMI port. It's pretty flexible, but might take a few minutes of reading on how to configure it. Shouldn't be any big deal for you.

You might also get a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter if your DP carries the audio (It probably does if it's that new).

DP is actually a nice format when compared to HDMI, but HDMI has the advantage in being installed in most all consumer devices using video and audio, so most people want to be compatible with it rather than DP.

It's a HP. I think I will break down and get the chromecast- it's inexpensive and sounds easy.

We just only have that one little TV that it would work with, but it would be enjoyable to have if we wanted to watch a video or something on the little TV as well.

Thanks for all your help!

I tried looking up your computer using the serial number, but HP wants a model number to go with it.

In any case, I would not be surprised if you only had DP, and you should easily be able to see an HDMI port based on the image passedpawn posted. Add the fact you are getting a Chromecast and it's not important to look it up now. Dell allows you to enter a Service Code and see the original configuration. I thought HP might as well.

Also, if Bob is eager to watch that episode, he can watch directly on the computer. It's not as nice IMO, but I've watched a bunch of things when the other TVs are being used or I'm too lazy to move files to another device (before I set up a Plex media server on my PC.)

Kinda related: a cool thing that Windows can do is play directly to network-connected devices. In Win10, it's called "Cast To". In Win7 and Win8, it was "Play To". Any media file on my computer can play on those devices. I have an audio receiver, smart TV, and two media boxes (WDTV), and I can push video/music/pics to them from my PC. They just start playing on the device. You can still control the movie with the tv remote, so it all just works. It's pretty cool.

castto.jpg

My daughter gave me the TV- it's a cheapie but it's got ports for HDMI and USB. It's not a "smart TV", but it's not as dumb as my 25 year old set. :D

Kinda related: a cool thing that Windows can do is play directly to network-connected devices. In Win10, it's called "Cast To". In Win7 and Win8, it was "Play To". Any media file on my computer can play on those devices. I have an audio receiver, smart TV, and two media boxes (WDTV), and I can push video/music/pics to them from my PC. They just start playing on the device. You can still control the movie with the tv remote, so it all just works. It's pretty cool.

So what you're saying is, a company meeting could be interrupted if someone were to sneak in with a Win10 laptop and push an adult movie to the TV hosting the meeting, or a buddy's phone at a restaurant while he's on a date?

Latest posts

Back