Non-reconditioned corneys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into kegging but cost is an issue. I found a place that sells non-reconditioned corneys for 20 bucks. The guy says they've been washed out but otherwise there's nothing wrong with them that will affect my beer. Will I experience any issues with these?

You can get replacement seals for cheap through your LHBS store or in bulk through Mcmaster-Carr. That will take care of almost everything as long as the metal isn't punctured or dented in a way that prevents a seal.

I need a few more... If this guy ships PM me his info. That's cheap.

I have and have used non reconditioned corny's with no problems. Just use the normal sanitation method and you will be fine. The O rings are cheap. I don't think I have ever replaced them, just use keg lube or even KY (we all have plenty of that around). The large one one the lid seldom goes bad.

The non-reconditioned corny's will work fine. If you can pick & choose before you buy, select the nicest ones you can. Avoid any with large dents and or sharp creases that could lead to future leaks. Replace the seals, clean and sanitize followed by pressurizing to 30 PSI over night. If the corny holds pressure, you should be good for a lifetime of brew pouring. Happy kegging!!!!!

If you do get to pick and choose, along with avoiding any kegs that are missing parts or have sharp creases/deep gouges or rubbers that are cracked/falling off, make sure to take a good look at the lid and the hole it plugs into, to avoid any kegs that have dinged/dented/bent lids or any damage to the hole that would make sealing problematic.

And I would replace all the seals, including the o-rings around the dip tubes. You never know just how old the kegs and their seals are, and a set of fresh seals are a lot cheaper than recharging a CO2 cylinder because it leaked out through a keg...

Cheers!

As has been said, plan on a few bucks each to replace some o-rings, but that's a very good price (they aren't getting any cheaper). You'll still probably want to wash them out good yourself, so a couple bucks for some oxiclean.

Back