non-lagering a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganamps

Reaction score
OK so after a few beers I bought another kit from Northern Brewer (after I swore I was done with Kits)

It was a Negra Modelo Clone, thought this was an ale, found out it was a Lager 3/4 of the way through the boil.

My plan was not to do a lager until I had the fermentation chamber built.....

Whatever.. Dropped it into an Ice bath and regulated it pretty well for about 4 days, then I got busy (lazy) and it has been sitting at 68 degrees for about 6 weeks. I didn't intend to let it sit that long but I did.

Now I have a Carboy full of whatever this is. The hydro sample tastes ok, Not something that I would want to buy in a store.

Now I am considering dumping it. Do I really want 5 gallons of this? should I take the time to clean all of the bottles....

arrrrgggghhh.

even if ur not a fan of it, i wouldnt dump it. take this as an opporunity to try something with it. throw some dry hops in it, or some cocoa (or other spice), or some fruit, or some brett/bacteria, etc

Bottle it and stick it in a basement room that is cool or stick them in the back of the fridge. Should be an OK beer for yard work.

Don’t do it! You just made a Steam beer... I have Vienna lager I make that is like model negro but a steam beer... I never lagered it... It was pretty damn good and my friends cleared the keg in a week! What you can try is throw some bugs in it and see what happens... But never Dump a beer! Just try new things with what you have...

P.S. you should invest in a kegging set-up.

Latest posts

Back