Noda Hop Drop N Roll Clone Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I didn't get that roasty bitterness my first 2 batches, and the Chinook at 30 min (and at 15 min) was a new addition for me. Maybe I'll up those amounts a bit next batch and see if that flavor intensifies to match the real thing.

By the way, a new article on Hop Drop in a local magazine here says: "Hop, Drop 'n Roll sees six hop additions occurring at specified times throughout the boil. Another hefty dose later goes straight into the fermenter to contribute solely to aromatics."

They also give some stats on grain used per (15 bbl) boil.

Here is the whole article: http://clclt.com/charlotte/birth-of-a-noda-brewery-beer/Content?oid=3678993

I brewed up a variation on this recipe based on what I had on hand a few months ago so I thought I would chime in. I made it and drank on it for several weeks before finally getting a chance to try the real thing. I think it's real close. The bitterness in the real thing was a little more 'harsh' but I don't mean that in a negative way.

Definitely one of the better IPA's I've made recently despite the final gravity dropping lower than intended. I submitted it to a fairly large regional comp and it finished in third place in the IPA category out of over 40 entries.

OG - 1.067
FG - 1.008
100+ calculated IBU
40% US Pale Malt
40% UK Golden Promise
7% Vienna malt
3% red wheat
3% carapils
3% C40L
3% dextrose

(Yes, that does only add up to 99%.)

Mashed at 152F, yeast was 1056.

20g Apollo FWH
28g Centennial @ 30'
14g Amarillo @ 15'
14g Centennial @ 15'
14g Citra @ 15'
14g Amarillo @ 10'
14g Citra @ 10'
28g Amarillo @ 5'
28g Citra @ 5'
28g Amarillo @ 0'
28g Citra @ 0'
28g Amarillo DH 10 days
28g Citra DH 10 days
40g Amarillo DH 5 days
40g Citra DH 5 days

When brewing this one again, I would either mash higher or dump the dextrose to hopefully finish with a little higher FG. I would also add some Nelson or Galaxy into the dry hopping.

I brewed up a variation on this recipe based on what I had on hand a few months ago so I thought I would chime in. I made it and drank on it for several weeks before finally getting a chance to try the real thing. I think it's real close. The bitterness in the real thing was a little more 'harsh' but I don't mean that in a negative way.

Definitely one of the better IPA's I've made recently despite the final gravity dropping lower than intended. I submitted it to a fairly large regional comp and it finished in third place in the IPA category out of over 40 entries.

OG - 1.067
FG - 1.008
100+ calculated IBU
40% US Pale Malt
40% UK Golden Promise
7% Vienna malt
3% red wheat
3% carapils
3% C40L
3% dextrose

(Yes, that does only add up to 99%.)

Mashed at 152F, yeast was 1056.

20g Apollo FWH
28g Centennial @ 30'
14g Amarillo @ 15'
14g Centennial @ 15'
14g Citra @ 15'
14g Amarillo @ 10'
14g Citra @ 10'
28g Amarillo @ 5'
28g Citra @ 5'
28g Amarillo @ 0'
28g Citra @ 0'
28g Amarillo DH 10 days
28g Citra DH 10 days
40g Amarillo DH 5 days
40g Citra DH 5 days

When brewing this one again, I would either mash higher or dump the dextrose to hopefully finish with a little higher FG. I would also add some Nelson or Galaxy into the dry hopping.

Glad to hear it finished so well in the event! As we've talked about in previous posts, I think the addition of Chinook would get you the harsher bitterness that we are looking for in the real thing. I'm glad you were able to try the real thing. It's one of my favorites. I'm heading to Asheville, NC this weekend to hit up all the breweries there and swinging by Charlotte to pick up some HDnR on my way.

I've had some Hop Drops lately and I'm not very impressed anymore. It comes across harsh to me. I used to love those IBUs and bitter but now I'm more of a hops flavor guy with lower bitterness, ie NE style. It's fun to have every once in awhile but don't really seek it out anymore.

I've had some Hop Drops lately and I'm not very impressed anymore. It comes across harsh to me. I used to love those IBUs and bitter but now I'm more of a hops flavor guy with lower bitterness, ie NE style. It's fun to have every once in awhile but don't really seek it out anymore.

Agree. I really enjoyed it when I first started getting it. It seems like their consistency is off or they changed the recipe. Last time I tried it, it was too malty for me.

Would anyone be willing to do a beginnerish write-up? I LOVE NODA, probably my top 5 beers of all time. It is very difficult for me to get, and if I could come close to brewing it, wow would that be sweet. Problem is, your list of ingredients and timing are going to be difficult to convert while still being a beginner brewer.

Anyone willing to break it down for me into understandable steps for a 5 gallon brew?

This is my first post but I have been using HBT for awhile... Here we go.

So I used libova's post (the first one here) as my base using my 5 gallon all grain setup. Long story short, I missed my target temp of 152 and ended up at 127F. I added a quart of boiling water but that didn't work. So I ended up pulling from the mash tun and heating up 2 quarts at a time to hit my target temp. When I finally hit 150 I let it sit for 15 minutes. At this point I was 75 minutes into the mash so my patience was gone. What I learned that day: For a smaller mash (batch) size I really need to pre-heat the 10 gallon mash tun cooler. After that everything went smoothly. Here is what I used for my first try.

Target Batch size 3 gallons
7 lb 2-Row
0.75 lb Vienna
0.75 lb White Wheat
0.25 lb Caramel 40 L
0.25 lb Carapils/Dextrine
1 oz Warrior (60 min boil)
1 oz Chinook (30 min boil)
0.5 oz Centennial (15 min boil)
0.75 oz Citra (0 min boil)
0.75 oz Amarillo (0 min boil)
0.5 oz Citra (Dry hop 8 days)
0.5 oz Amarillo (Dry hop 8 days)
0.5 oz Citra (Dry hop 5 days)
0.5 oz Amarillo (Dry hop 5 days)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (no starter)

Mash at 151-152 for 60 mins
90 minute boil

Actual Measurements
OG 1.067
FG 1.020
ABV: ~6.2

Primary was 7 days at 62
Secondary was 14 days at 65
Dry hop at ambient (about 68)

This turned out great! I had a buddy try it and he agreed it was just off color but the taste was almost spot on and very close in aroma. I did a side by side and agreed with him. It was missing something. I decided to try adding Chinook in the dry hop.

My second go did not yield great results. At this point I doubled my recipe for a 6 gallon batch. Bad Idea. It wasn't even close. I enjoyed drinking it and entered it into a competition. I ended up getting a score of 32.5 (room for improvement).

I modified it again to see if I could get back to what I was looking for and . Below is what I ended up with. It is currently going through the dry hop process. (side note: when I made this the first time I was on my 4th all grain batch. I now have close to 20 all grain brews under my belt. I have really learned more about my system/process and what works.)

Target Batch size 6 gallons
13 lb 2-Row
1 lb Vienna
1 lb White Wheat
0.75 lb Caramel 40 L
0.5 lb Carapils/Dextrine
1.75 oz Warrior (60 min boil)
1.75 oz Chinook (30 min boil)
1 oz Centennial (15 min boil)
1 oz Citra (0 min boil)
1 oz Amarillo (0 min boil)
0.5 oz Chinook (Dry hop 8 days)
0.5 oz Chinook (Dry hop 5 days)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash in at 125-130 for 20 minutes
Raise the temp to 154 for 40 minutes
90 minute boil
2L Yeast Starter made 24+ hours

Actual Measurements
OG 1.072
FG 1.014
ABV: ~7.6

- Primary started at 65. 4 days in things started to slow, I raised the temp 1 degree each day.
- On day 9 I moved to secondary and let it rest at 70 for another 9 days.
- I moved to a keg and cold crashed for 24 hours and pulled off about 2 pints. The temp was raise to 68 and I started dry hopping. Since I dry hop for 8 total days, on day 7 I will cold crash again. Then use a siphon with a mesh bag on the end to transfer to a second keg. After that I will start carbonating.

I am excited about what I have tasted before dry hopping. If I was to do it again I might add more vienna and take away the base malt (and drop abv closer to 7%).

I'll see if I can post again when I have more pictures and can do I side by side.

I'm looking for a Hop Drop N Roll clone. I came up with one but would like to get any feedback. I've had the beer a couple of times and I looked up on their website information about their beer. On their website they use 4 malts: 2-Row, English base malt (which I'm assuming is like a Maris Otter?), Vienna and wheat (for mouth feel). Their cans say what hops they use and they are added at 10 different times. Their website says they use hops in the mash, which I'm not going to do, boil and secondary (obviously). I BIAB so my grain count is going to be higher to offset the efficiency.

Batch size 3 gallons
1500 g (3.3 lb) 2-Row
1500 g (3.3 lb) Maris Otter
454 g (1 lb) Vienna
454 g (1 lb) Wheat
150 g (.33 lb) Carapils/Dextrine
150 g (.33 lb) Dextrose
135 g (.3 lb) Caramel 40 L
28 g (1 oz) Warrior 15.4 AA% 90 min boil
28 g (1 oz) Chinook 11.5 AA% 60 min boil
14 g (.5 oz) Centennial 9.2 AA% 30 min boil
21 g (.75 oz) Citra 11 AA% 0 min boil
21 g (.75 oz) Amarillo 8.2 AA% 0 min boil
14 g (.5 oz) Centennial 9.2 AA% Dry hop 12-14 days
14 g (.5 oz) Citra 11 AA% Dry hop 12-14 days
14 g (.5 oz) Amarillo 8.2 AA% Dry hop 12-14 days
8.5 g (.3 oz) Chinook 11.5 AA% Dry hop 5-7 days
8.5 g (.3 oz) Citra 11 AA% Dry hop 5-7 days
8.5 g (.3 oz) Amarillo 8.2 AA% Dry hop 5-7 days
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (probably 1.5-2 packages for this higher gravity beer)

OG 1.070
FG ~1.016ish range
ABV: 7.2
SRM: 7.7
IBU: 81
Mash at 151-152* for 60 mins
90 minute boil
Cool to 68-72*
Pitch yeast
Dry Hop

All I know is Citra and Amarillo are added very late in boil. All other hop additions, amounts and times are just guesses.

This is my first post but I have been using HBT for awhile... Here we go.

So I used libova's post (the first one here) as my base using my 5 gallon all grain setup. Long story short, I missed my target temp of 152 and ended up at 127F. I added a quart of boiling water but that didn't work. So I ended up pulling from the mash tun and heating up 2 quarts at a time to hit my target temp. When I finally hit 150 I let it sit for 15 minutes. At this point I was 75 minutes into the mash so my patience was gone. What I learned that day: For a smaller mash (batch) size I really need to pre-heat the 10 gallon mash tun cooler. After that everything went smoothly. Here is what I used for my first try.

Target Batch size 3 gallons

7 lb 2-Row

0.75 lb Vienna

0.75 lb White Wheat

0.25 lb Caramel 40 L

0.25 lb Carapils/Dextrine

1 oz Warrior (60 min boil)

1 oz Chinook (30 min boil)

0.5 oz Centennial (15 min boil)

0.75 oz Citra (0 min boil)

0.75 oz Amarillo (0 min boil)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale (no starter)

Mash at 151-152 for 60 mins

90 minute boil

Actual Measurements

OG 1.067

FG 1.020

ABV: ~6.2

Primary was 7 days at 62

Secondary was 14 days at 65

Dry hop at ambient (about 68)

This turned out great! I had a buddy try it and he agreed it was just off color but the taste was almost spot on and very close in aroma. I did a side by side and agreed with him. It was missing something. I decided to try adding Chinook in the dry hop.

My second go did not yield great results. At this point I doubled my recipe for a 6 gallon batch. Bad Idea. It wasn't even close. I enjoyed drinking it and entered it into a competition. I ended up getting a score of 32.5 (room for improvement).

I modified it again to see if I could get back to what I was looking for and . Below is what I ended up with. It is currently going through the dry hop process. (side note: when I made this the first time I was on my 4th all grain batch. I now have close to 20 all grain brews under my belt. I have really learned more about my system/process and what works.)

Target Batch size 6 gallons

13 lb 2-Row

1 lb Vienna

1 lb White Wheat

0.75 lb Caramel 40 L

0.5 lb Carapils/Dextrine

1.75 oz Warrior (60 min boil)

1.75 oz Chinook (30 min boil)

1 oz Centennial (15 min boil)

1 oz Citra (0 min boil)

1 oz Amarillo (0 min boil)

0.5 oz Chinook (Dry hop 8 days)

0.5 oz Chinook (Dry hop 5 days)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash in at 125-130 for 20 minutes

Raise the temp to 154 for 40 minutes

90 minute boil

2L Yeast Starter made 24+ hours

Actual Measurements

OG 1.072

FG 1.014

ABV: ~7.6

- Primary started at 65. 4 days in things started to slow, I raised the temp 1 degree each day.

- On day 9 I moved to secondary and let it rest at 70 for another 9 days.

- I moved to a keg and cold crashed for 24 hours and pulled off about 2 pints. The temp was raise to 68 and I started dry hopping. Since I dry hop for 8 total days, on day 7 I will cold crash again. Then use a siphon with a mesh bag on the end to transfer to a second keg. After that I will start carbonating.

I am excited about what I have tasted before dry hopping. If I was to do it again I might add more vienna and take away the base malt (and drop abv closer to 7%).

I'll see if I can post again when I have more pictures and can do I side by side.

Awesome! Glad you like it and tweaked the recipe some to fit what you're looking for!

Back