Noche Buena recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmando

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Noche Buena (Mexican Bock) recipe for a noob on another forum. I did find a kit for it at Austin Homebrew Supply and have sent that info to him but I was hoping to find an actual recipe. Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm looking for a Noche Buena (Mexican Bock) recipe for a noob on another forum. I did find a kit for it at Austin Homebrew Supply and have sent that info to him but I was hoping to find an actual recipe. Thanks in advance for any help!

When did you have that beer? I had it deep in the heart of Mexico in November of 2002 and loved it!!

Do they sell it commercially in the states? the mexican's I've talked to in the US laugh when I ask if it's available here.

I've not had it but I am trying to find it though. I'll be checking with our suppliers this week to see if any can get it.

There's a recipe in The Joy of Home Brewing by Papazian. If no one else does, I'll post it tonight.

Noche Buena, Charlie Papazian

I’m not one to concoct recipes, so this is his version. It’s for an extract, but I am sure others here can modify it for you.

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs Muntons Dark LME
1 lb Rice Extract Syrup or Rice Extract Powder
1 lb Light Colored Crystal Malt
¼ lb Toasted Malted Barley
1 ¼ oz. Spalt Hops: 6 HBU (60 min)
1 oz Saaz Hops: 4 HBU (20 min)
1 oz Hersbrucker-Hallertauer hops (5 min)
German type lager yeast

OG 1.056-1.060
FG 1.014-1.018
Bitterness: 9 IBU, Color 27 SRM

Toast the barley in the over 5 to 10 minutes at 350F, then grind while still warm along with the crystal malt. Steep at 150F to 160F for 30 minutes in 1 ½ gallons water, then remove with strainer. Boil LME, Rice extract and Spalt hops for 60 minutes, Saaz hops for 20 minutes, and Hallertauer hops for 5 minutes. Strain, Sparge and transfer to 2 gallons of cold water in fermenter, top off to 5 gallons, pitch yeast, bottle within two weeks.

He says it should be ready to drink relatively quick unless you ferment at very low temps. The best would be to mature it for 2 to 3 weeks at 40F to 50F in a secondary. He also says that if you really want to duplicate Dos Equis’ version, you should bottle in a clear bottle and expose to full bright sunlight for 10 to 15 minutes... Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Appreciate the heads up on this!:mug:

Oh and to AZ IPA, it used to be available in the US, I used to get it year round in Ca. when I lived there. Now from what I hear it's no longer imported to the states.
I sincerely miss it too!

Cheers
Mongo

and regarding the Noche Buena, and I wish to thank both Brew and Mev!!

You folks are all so very awesome in the assitance and guidance of a true newbie!:mug:
Thank you all so very much!:rockin:

Cheers
Mongo

When did you have that beer? I had it deep in the heart of Mexico in November of 2002 and loved it!!

Do they sell it commercially in the states? the mexican's I've talked to in the US laugh when I ask if it's available here.

Hi.
I'm from Monterrey, México. I don't know why mexicans laugh when you ask them... but, this beer is like a special edition beer for christmas eve, that's why it's called noche buena. I saw that they were starting to unpack a few boxes of it in cosco. I think they'll be selling it next week. Bad news is that every year it's sold out before December.
I hope this helped.

Back