No yeast cake on the bottom of secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubes24

Reaction score
So on my third beer, an ESB, I racked to the secondary after 12 days and then racked it to a bottling bucket after another 12 days. When I racked it to the bottling bucket, there was no yeast cake on the bottom. It was totally clean. Any reason why that would be?

I usually see very little in the secondary (when I do a secondary) but I do see some - although it's so light and wispy that it takes no effort to stir it up.

When you rack from the primary, there are all kinds of solids besides yeast cake - proteins, hop particles, etc. With 99% of that left behind going into the secondary, there is less to clump together.

If you have a method of cold-crashing for 24 hrs or so before siphoning to the bottling bucket, you'll see more.

no worries, however. 3 weeks in the bottle to carb up, then a couple of days in the fridge and all the particulates will settle out to the bottom of your bottles.

So on my third beer, an ESB, I racked to the secondary after 12 days and then racked it to a bottling bucket after another 12 days. When I racked it to the bottling bucket, there was no yeast cake on the bottom. It was totally clean. Any reason why that would be?

Hey, schubes24, this is an old thread, so i was wondering if you remember what happened with this batch. Did it carbonate well? I have the same "issue" now with a rye ipa.

Thanks.

Back