No siphon in dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultan

Reaction score
I've put together a dip tube for my keggle using 1/2" copper tubing with a 90° elbow on the end. The tubing is fastened to the bulkhead with a compression fitting. All fittings are tight and sealed with teflon tape. The problem is that the water in my test run stops flowing at the bulkhead rather than generating a siphon. Any theories?

TIA

Tony

I'm having the same problem even with tubing extending below the bottom of the keggle. I thought that the siphon would start simply with gravity but apparently not. Could there be another problem with the set up? Does one have to start the syphon somehow mechanically? I ended up using my racking cane to drain my last batch...grrr....

Absolutely. However, the more I think about it I dont think I teflon taped the barbed nozzle connection to the ball valve. That may be where I'm introducing air and defeating the siphon. Ill test and report back when I get home.

So that was the case....I took apart the siphon and re-taped everything....sucks the wort like a two-bit....ummm nevermind..it works!

Latest posts

Back