No Signs of Activity after 12 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Converted an all grain to an extract recipe. Flavors tasted a little off and it didn't look dark enough once in the carboy. Any way pitched the yeast about 12 hours ago and have seen no activity. Pitched 1968 London ESB Ale and my temp is reading 57-58. Any thought or help? Should I move it to another room and get a higher temp? This is a very low gravity beer, so could that be affecting it?

OG was 1.030

Original recipe that was converted:

Ingredients:
4.0 lb 2-Row
2.5 lb Turbo Munich
.45 lb Corn Flaked
.30 lb Chocolate Malt
.60 oz Perle (7.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz Saaz (3.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
150 mL WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Steeped grains for 30 minutes at around 153 and boiled for 60 min.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

The beer is supposed to be Dos Perros from Yazoo Brewing in Nashville

Ale yeasts tend to be very slow or go dormant much below 59F wort temp. the majority of ale yeasts do best in the 60-68F wort temp range when pitched and held stable during the first 7-10 days of fermentation.

Your fermentation temperature is too low.

By the way, what portion of the original all-grain grist did you steep?

Steeped:
2.5 lb Turbo Munich
.45 lb Corn Flaked
.30 lb Chocolate Malt

My brew store adjusted the levels. And I used 3lbs of light malt extract.

So if I move this when I get home tonight to a room that has a temp of 68 degrees, should I be fine or do I need to do something else?

A slight rousing (NOT shaking) and moving it to a warmer area should do the trick. It's worked for me before, anyhow.

You want to get it into the low 60's but once fermentation kicks off the yeast will create heat in the beer so you want the air temp where the fermenter is placed to be around 60-63F.

Just wait a few more days. If it's 72+ hours and still nothing, then I'd be concerned. Many ale yeasts will ferment fine that low, but if you want any yeast character I'd warm it up a bit.

WY1968ESB (and WLP002) is sort of temp sensitive and prone to drop out early if you keep it too cool. Once 1968 drops out, it forms a very, very firm (almost rubbery) cake that is pretty much impossible to rouse by swirling the bucket/carboy. You have to very gently spoon it up from the bottom to get it to suspend again.

Get that batch warmed up to 64-65*F (beer temp) as soon as you can. After a few days of good activity, start increasing the temp so that it finishes out at 68-70*F.

Moved it from my cellar into the furnace room. Working really well! It's holding at around 63 and the yeast is looking pretty active. It doesn't get too hot in the room, maybe 68 degrees, so I think we're good to go!

Thanks everyone for their help!

Back