No N2!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:mad:

Ok, I went and bought a nitro setup for my stouts/porters... before I invested in this, I called my local gas supplier (airgas), who assured me they sold beverage gas mixes. When I got my tank and went in, they told me they couldn't fill a 5lb nitrogen cylinder with beverage gas. They told me that they would have to take my cylinder and ship it to St. Louis to do that, and that I would have to pay all charges.

I am not aware of any other venders of beverage gas in our area (unless someone in the Peoria, IL area knows something I don't).

So I guess I'm going to have to serve under straight nitrogen following force carbonation. Any ideas, tips, tricks would be appreciated..... :confused: :(

Air gas by me would swap cylinders with a days notice. So if you really like your new cylinder then you'll have to find a bev gas filler...
Check the yellow pages for soda vending/service. Or you could dive up to the chi suburbs and have it filled at city carbonic in brookfield, IL....

Regardless If i were you i'd carn it with CO2 anyway as carbing with beergas involves a lot of math and purging (because it's only 30% co2)....

Yep they'll do it either way...at my local they asked for the type of cylinder you needed (male vs. female) before they order it....I already had a fancy N2 reg so i opted for the black tank....

I have a N2 tank and regulator. They wouldn't fill it in a CO2 tank. And they indicated that they wouldn't even exchange a cylinder-- they told me it can't be put in a smaller cylinder like that.

I occasionally make it up to Chi-town area-- will check out possible sources there.

I was planning on carbing with CO2 initially anyway. I'll just lose carbonation if I keep in under Nitrogen only.. will occasionally have to purge the keg and recarbonate if it sits too long.

Have you tried/called either of these?

SJ Smith Welding Supply
2430 N Main St
East Peoria, IL 61611-1742
(309) 698-4433

Praxair Inc
2100 N 8th St
Pekin, IL 61554-1541
(309) 346-3164

Latest posts

Back