No krausen fermenting under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfischr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two BrewZillas set up in my garage for fermentation. I’ve been brewing for years—hundreds of gallons under my belt—but this was the first time I tried to ferment under pressure using the bulkhead connectors on the BrewZilla and a Spunding valve.

In case anyone is asking, here’s the malt bill for the Session IPA (10 Gal):

1/2 # Rice Hulls
11# Pilsner
7.5 # Flaked Oats

Now, I made two big (2-L) starters of London Ale III for this—both seemed pretty healthy.

The mash went great-consistent 152 for 60 min, MO at 168, fly sparge at 168. 74% BH efficiency using a BrewZilla 65L. Mash got a little slow/sticky but that was the only issue.

O.G. 1.051

I then cooled the wort and racked to two FermZillas using custom-made coils and pumps hooked up to chiller water in my chest freezer.

IMG_1990.JPG

Two days into fermentation—no krausen. Just little bubbles on the surface for a couple days as the gravity fell. Now, it was holding pressure for sure! Releasing the pressure produced a ton of CO2 bubbles. Also, the fermentation was done in less than 4 days—it reached 1.010 very quickly due to a high cell count/relatively high fermentation temp (~69). Could it have been that the pressure suppressed the krausen?

Thanks!!

One of many reasons for fermenting under pressure at the commercial level is precisely this suppression of kräusen, allowing more production volume in the same tank volume.

I've done a fair bit of pressure fermentation, but in stainless, so I've never actually seen what the surface looks like. Thanks for the pic!

One of many reasons for fermenting under pressure at the commercial level is precisely this suppression of kräusen, allowing more production volume in the same tank volume.

I've done a fair bit of pressure fermentation, but in stainless, so I've never actually seen what the surface looks like. Thanks for the pic!

Thanks for the heads up!
A video of the active, krausen-free fermentation is here:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ql8swXY9hfaZqmUbYvehNBYg#Alexandria_-_Potomac_Yard

Latest posts

Back