No Krausen, but fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long time brewer, new issue for me.

Set up:

Whenever I brew and use a new technique I brew the same beer, a SMASH. Since I've made this beer many times, I know what the beer tastes like and I can compare 'standard' versions to the experimental version.

The recipe is Maris Otter, Fuggle, Nottingham. The quantities vary based on what's on hand and what I'm doing.

This is what I did this time:

I brewed in a bag and was testing my RIMS tube. That means the mash recirculated through a cheese cloth bag creating a clean wort.

I put 1 ounce of Fuggle in the mash.

I put NO hops in the boil. Since I was not using hops in the boil I didn't see any reason for boil for a full 60 minutes. After the Mash was complete, I used a heat stick and propane to quickly get the wort to boil and a did an incredibly vigorous boil for about 10 minutes.

Afterwards, I cooled the beer as fast as possible and I used a hop rocket to filter the already clean wort to a carboy.

I pitched Nottingham dry, no starter. In less than 8 hours fermentation started and in about 15 hours the fermentation was so strong it blew the water out of my air lock.

HOWEVER.... NO KRAUSEN.

I can see the wort swirling with activity, I can see small tight bubbles at the tip of the wort, but all the goop that normally shoots to the top with big dry bubbles that float on top of the beer. None of that.

So I'm wondering, because I recirculated through cheesecloth, because I filtered through a hop rocket, because I used no hops in the boil, and because I have maybe the cleanest wort I've ever had, is this why I have no obvious classic krausen?

I'm not freaking out, I hit starting gravity and the gravity is dropping, I've just never had this happen before.

Thoughts??????

I've had brews not develop a very notable Krausen before, but I have no clue as to why.

Dunno, I've never had clean wort prior to boil, nor no hops whatsoever in the boil. Maybe their was nothing for the co2 to bring to the top and form the kreusen?

I'm not worried.

I consider Maris Otter, Fuggle, and Nottingham an English Bitter, an English Bitter, a little "butter" can't hurt. My RIMS tube build has worked smoothly with water, but has failed (scortched) a beer when I have grain in the system. I need to run the system with grain in it to learn where I get stuck recirculation, and with that in mind I need to go in thinking I'll lose the beer. I'm fine with this beer tasting terrible, but I suspect it won't. I'll update when it's done. I'm just surprised to see no Krausen.

I am brewing with Nottingham dry right now, and have fermentation but also no Krausen. This was also a first encounter for me, and a first time using a swamp cooler so I thought perhaps keeping it cooler was affecting it but fermentation is definitely going on, temp is around 17c

Back