No knead, slow rise bread. (with video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those without a dutch oven there is a cheaper way to achieve the same results. Place the dough on a pizza stone and put a bowl of ice water in the oven with the loaf for the first thirty minutes. Remove the water after the first thirty just like you would remove the dutch oven lid and you will get a similar crumb formation. I tested this theory out a few days ago and it worked perfectly. The cold water creates a similar steamy environment as the dutch oven which aids in crumb development.

The biggest downside is that there can be difficulty controlling the shape of the loaf, but that will come with practice.

I've made three loaves since last night. They all came out great and are super easy to make. It's really too easy.

I just got a new bread book - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Similar concept - make a very slack dough with no kneading. However, they make a larger batch of dough and then you can keep it in the fridge and bake it whenever you feel like it over the next week or two. They also use one of several master doughs that can be doctored before baking to produce different products.

I just got it so I have no first hand experience, but I've read good things about it and I know the concept is solid from the recipe in this thread. It seems the no knead thing is getting popular - there's another book that's similar that was released earlier this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made some and this bread is fantastic! I made two loaves the first I added 50g spent grain from a stout to give it a nice brown color and the second one I removed the yeast and pitched 1/3 cup homemade sourdough starter. It is amazing.

I just got a new bread book - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Similar concept - make a very slack dough with no kneading. However, they make a larger batch of dough and then you can keep it in the fridge and bake it whenever you feel like it over the next week or two. They also use one of several master doughs that can be doctored before baking to produce different products.

I just got it so I have no first hand experience, but I've read good things about it and I know the concept is solid from the recipe in this thread. It seems the no knead thing is getting popular - there's another book that's similar that was released earlier this year.

here is a great writeup withouth having to buy the book.

Five Minutes a Day for Fresh-Baked Bread

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this rising right now (it'll go in the oven in a bit) and I used regular active dry yeast. Works just the same, pleanty of rise involved.

For those who are AB fans he makes it here, though he does kneed the bread. Just ignore that part.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvj2hyHQXA]YouTube - Good Eats S11E20 Going Dutch (1/2)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld20FX3q_Mk&feature=related]YouTube - Good Eats S11E20 Going Dutch (2/2)[/ame]

Whoa, didn't realize this was 17 pages long! Should have continued reading. Hope no one has posted this already:p

Baking bread passes the time waiting for brews to finish. It also makes me feel like a master of yeast.

"you guys---make beer"

"you over there, make bread"

The Artisan bread in 5 min. a day book featured in this thread is so simple and for the same dough you get boules, pizza, pita, and loaves.

photo.php

home.php

I've got some bread in the oven right now. One because bread is great and two it covers up the buffalo wing smell from today's football food. Ahh Sundays.

I'm going to have to attempt this soon.

Definitely give it a shot. You won't regret it at all! It's a really easy recipe and you can tweak it any way you like to make different kinds of bread (not unlike brewing).

-Tripod

Revvy your recipe calls for 1 5/8 cups of water, video calls for a 1 1/2 cups. I used a cup and a half, dough looks good this morning. I will bake it off this evening.

Revvy your recipe calls for 1 5/8 cups of water, video calls for a 1 1/2 cups.

That's a small difference and it could depend on where you live(humidity), and your flour as to whether you need that extra 1/8cup. I needed just a bit more to get it all mixed up.
Man that was some good bread! Mixed it Saturday morning, baked it Sunday night.

-OCD

I made it but i think the 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt makes it rather salty. I will cut it back next loaf by 1/2. simple and it has to be the best looking breads that i have made.

I agree on the salt. I could stand to be cut back from the original recipe. But it was still good stuff. Just top it with cheese or tapenade to mellow the saltiness.

-OCD

Stage 1 has begun...
bread.jpg

A little oatmeal stout, molasses, and honey. It will be topped with toasted oats

Just top it with cheese or tapenade to mellow the saltiness.
Didn't even know what tapenade was until I went to the Olives restaurant.

Sofa.
King.
Good.

Do they sell this stuff in a typ grocery? With all the other pickles/olives? I know I've looked for olive salad for Muffelettas but never see it.

Didn't even know what tapenade was Do they sell this stuff in a typ grocery? With all the other pickles/olives? I know I've looked for olive salad for Muffelettas but never see it.

For me - it's by the giardinerra in one store. By the tomato sauce in another.

-OCD

This tastes fantastic but didn't get the rise that I was looking for. It could've been from the beer instead of water or because I used bread machine yeast instead of the dry active yeast. Anyways, it tastes great and I will definitely do it again!

bread1.jpg

This tastes fantastic but didn't get the rise that I was looking for. It could've been from the beer instead of water or because I used bread machine yeast instead of the dry active yeast. Anyways, it tastes great and I will definitely do it again!

If you have a dutch oven, that will force it to go upwards instead of spreading.

Got a dutch oven for christmas, so I was finally able to take this recipe for a spin. I think next time I might make the dough a tad drier to see if I can get more vertical rise, but overall it was really delicious. The first one went fast with soup, so I've already made a second loaf. Thanks for the recipe!
IMG_0027_1_.JPG

Got my cast iron pot for christmas and started my first dough today, pics tomorrow of the finished product.

SANY0165.jpg

It could use a bit more garlic but it has a very nice heat that is not to much.

Also I highly recommend using cornmeal vs flour.

I bake mine in enamelled cast iron with a lid for 30 min and then 15 with the lid off. Makes cool football shaped loaves. The last loaf I added a cup of spent grain.

nokneadbreadslices.jpg

nokneadbread.jpg

Spentgrainbreadcopy.jpg

Rosemary and Feta just cooled off. Mmmm. This is my 2nd attempt. I used bread flour this time and the bread was more dense than the first time (AP). Both easy and delicious.

+1 on the cornmeal instead of flour for the towel part.

Wow, thanks for sharing -- that looks great! I enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures too. I tried baking baguettes last year and they were OK...but not great. I think the humidity in while baking is an important factor and I could never get that quite right. It looks like this recipe is almost infallible though. Yum.

I'm trying this for the first time. Made my dough up last night and just tossed it in the oven. I have made decent crusty bread in the past by keeping water in a spray bottle and capping my oven vent. Then I would spritz the walls of the oven to bring up the humidity. This way seems so much easier but we'll see. My dough seemed a little wet and runny which made it difficult to handle. If it sucks oh well all I lost was like $.50 worth of materials. If it's good I'm making a meatloaf sandwich with it tonight.

Nothing I love better than commenting on threads started over 2 years ago but I have two loaves of this working right now, by the time I get home tonight they will have risen for 23 hours. I did 2 cups of white bread flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. I normally make my own bread but it's usually the standard knead and quick rise method. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Latest posts

Back