No... just NO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aww, it didn't like my ad-blocker.

I did read something about how edible glitter is making its way into craft beer.

Not in favor of it, but not horribly opposed to it. I'd rather see GMO yeast that glow green in the dark. Can you imagine that every St. Patrick's day?

If you drink this beer, and pee glitter in the snow in fancy designs - can you call it art? IF so can you get a grant and charge admission?

Really - if it makes you happy what the heck! I can't see that it is any more silly than the assorted crazes for the latest strawberry-kumquat-orange peel- chocolate frosted flakes-clear stout-quadruple dark IPA -7000 IBU - monkey liver, no grain all grain toenail ale concoctions that so titillate from week to week! It it pleases you then proceed!

Bring back any memories? Been in my cabinet since a party I had in the 90’s, just can’t make myself drink it, and dumping out alcohol.... well..... I’ve had it since the 90’s.
IMG_3341.jpg

Yes... Memories of B52s, Kamikazes, sex on a beach, Jager Bombs, Peach Schnapps, Pearl Jam, Public Enemy, reckless abandon ... and goatees. That’s also when the cargo shorts fad started so if you’re still wearing those it might be time to move on (but they’re so comfortable and functional!)

So? Can’t you guys find something more important to complain about? I though real men don’t ***** and moan about minor things that don’t affect them.

We live, and then someday we die. If someone wants to use glitter, why let it even slightly bother you?

Maybe I don’t have a sense of humour...

My grandfather will slap my face if I show up with glitter beer.

Would be great entertainment value though - Hey Grandpa! Wait till you see this beer I just picked up for you! Probably be fuming all day. Then drink one in front of him. Grin, watch him be uncomfortable. Tell him how good it is. :)

Are these guys using artisanal hand made glitter or the imported from who knows where stuff you buy at office depot?
I don't know about artisanal, but it is food-grade glitter - not that I know what constitutes "food-grade glitter." But it isn't from office depot or leftovers from an egg coloring set.

As it isn't the same as stripper-glitter, I do wonder if it leaves behind the same trail of shame.

My grandfather will slap my face if I show up with glitter beer.

If mine was was still here to enjoy a beer with me, I doubt he'd get violent. He'd rarely get angry or even curse - but he'd get even.
Want some candy?
He'd give you some gadfersaken saltwater taffy and then watch you drink a gallon of water afterward. I once caught him sneaking a few soup beans to my Uncle's German shorthair, knowing they'd complained of her being nervous and gassy during a car ride. :eek:

I've been a bartender for many years, and seen many trends come and go (red bull and vodka, anyone?) so this too, shall pass. Glitter poop will soon be a thing on youtube and snapchat. Then the kids will move on to something new.

I mean... Whatever. I think it's a silly thing to care about. If you don't like it don't order it/make it. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick to attract people to craft beers. It's a crazy flooded market and Brewers have to do something to stand out. But I'll admit Yes I think it's kind of dumb too lol

The only question I ask to anyone adding anything to a recipe (beer, cocktail, food, anything) is, "how does the addition improve the end-product?"

I'll sprinkle eggs Benedict with a little paprika at breakfast to break up the monotone sauce without hesitation. However, Green dye to make green beer is not an incentive to me, nor is glittery brew. If it turns out that edible glitter works better than gelatin, irish moss or any other fining agent, I bet we would see many of us picking up a bag of bling.

One could loosly argue that it could be perceived as an improvement to visual presentation; however, this assumes that the only difference between two brews is the glitter. A glitter-bmc vs almost anything else: I'll take almost anything else.

Marketing gimmick that will probably turn out to get someone sick. I've got an idea...how about just make good beer and treat people good and they will continue to come back to buy beer at your brewery and spread the word? Or is that too old fashioned. /cheers
What you are saying makes too much sense. Lol

Well it looks like Morebeer is jumping onto this bandwagon. Their new Unicorn Fart recipe. I honestly thought it was a weird April fool's joke. But there is actually a recipe there. Who's going to give it a go? Lol.

Back