no hopback... now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I was wanting to brew this recipe for the Tröegs HopBack Amber Ale clone:

5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.063 FG = 1.017; IBUs = 55 SRM = 10 ABV = 6.0%

Ingredients:

7.75 lbs. (3.5 kg) Briess Pilsen Light malt extract syrup
2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) Munich malt (10 °L)
0.25 lbs. (113 g) crystal malt (20 °L)
1.0 oz. (28 g) chocolate malt
15.25 AAU Nugget hops (bittering hop, boil 60 min.) (1.2 oz./33 g of 13.0% alpha acid)
5.7 AAU Nugget hops (in hopback) (0.5 oz./14 g of 13.0% alpha acid)
2.8 AAU Liberty hops (in hopback) (0.25 oz./7 g of 4.0% alpha acid)
2.8 AAU Simcoe hops (in hopback) (0.25 Oz. (7 g) of 12.0% alpha acid)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast
O.75 cup (180 mL) of corn sugar (for priming)
Step by step:

Steep the three crushed malts in 3 gallons (11.3 L) of water at 152 ºF (67 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from wort, add the malt syrup and bring to a boil. Add the Nugget bittering hops and boil for 60 minutes.

For the hopback, run the hot wort through an in-line hopback type filter where you have the remaining three hops in a straining bag, with the outlet going into 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water in a sanitary fermenter and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons (21 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC), aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68 ºF (20 ºC) and hold at this temperature until the beer has finished fermenting, then bottle and enjoy!

All-grain option:

This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the 7.8 lbs. (3.5 kg) of malt syrup with 10.3 lbs. (4.7 kg) of Briess Pilsner malt. The rest of the grains used are the same as the extract recipe. Mash the four grains together at 152 ºF (67 ºC) for 60 minutes. Collect approximately 7 gallons (26 L) of wort to boil for 90 minutes and have a 5.5-gallon (21-L) yield. Lower the amount of the Nugget hops in the boil to 1` ounce (28 g) to account for the higher extraction ratio of a full boil. The remainder of the recipe is the same as the extract.

Well.. I don't have a hopback and so I was wondering how best I could achieve mostly the same results without one? What would I want to do when? I am still sort of new at brewing so any help would be great! Thanks!

I have a hopback which I've never used. I simply do a flame out addition after the wort has cooled for a few minutes and recirculate the wort for 10 minutes, then send to chiller.

So, if i just use an immersion wort chiller, I just throw in at flame out, let them steep for 5-10 minutes, stir the wort a bit then chill and then rack to fermentor, correct?
Thanks!

So, if i just use an immersion wort chiller, I just throw in at flame out, let them steep for 5-10 minutes, stir the wort a bit then chill and then rack to fermentor, correct?
Thanks!

I throw the last bit of aroma hops at flame out and start the chill keeps hop aroma fresher takes me 20 min to chill enough to rack to bucket. don't boil away more aroma than needed. too much boil takes away from aroma and adds more to flavor. I've added some hops 5 min into chill and had very nice aroma... it was simcoe which is a nice strong aroma hop, that and Argentinian Cascade which gives a strong lemon aroma

Latest posts

Back