No Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy981

Reaction score
I brewed my first PM last night, but almost twenty four hours later and still nothing. The carboy temp was at 63 and I am thinking that might be too cool. Also the OG was 1.076 it is supposed to turn out to be in the high 7% almost 8% range so I think the SG might have something to do with it because I did not use a starter. It was just white labs yeast that i refrigerated until about 4 hours prior to pitching like the yeast said. I moved it into a warmer are of the house and am hoping that will cure the problem. Is that enough? What do you guys think should be done?

That's at the lower end temp for most ale yeasts, and that's a really frickin high OG! I would wait at least 48 hours with no activity before becoming concerned and repitching. If you can, try to raise the temp to the recommended higher end of the yeast strain, and fer gawsakes make a starter next time for an OG that high!

For that high of an OG I would do a stater or go on top of a yeast cake. I Just did a HG IPA and went on top of a cake and I have "little" bubbles at 20 minutes. I've done 4 of the HG brews and they seem to like a healthy yeast environment and show activity in the first 24 hours.

Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew! I did a HG IPA last month, same results. Took a little over 24 hrs to kick off at 70 degrees. I'm sure you are already doing it, but I would make sure you have a blow off tube set up on it for a few days. When the yeast starts taking over, There's going to be Krausen to pay! Sounds like you are going to have a great beer!

She'll take off, don't worry. You might have should have made a starter, but at worst you'll get some unexpected esthers. As an alternative, don't bother with the blow off tube, it is kinda cool to see the krausen blow the bung out of the carboy 'hands free'!! ;)

Thanks guys, all i needed was to just warm it up relax and have a homebrew, well not really a homebrew because mine still have about a week to carbonate but anyways. I brought it upstairs and got it to 70 deg and it took off. thanks for all the input, i just got a little nervous

Back