No Fermentation after 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpfeifer

Reaction score
Alright folks, here is my question. I brewed on Sunday. I have had no fermentation (I suspected a problem with the yeast but used it anyway). Took a gravity reading on Tuesday and again today. Neither showed any movement. Question is, can I still re-pitch some fresh yeast or has it been sitting too long without activity?

First question - are you using a hydrometer to get those readings or a refractometer? If the latter, your readings will be off (HIGH) due to the alcohol.

If these are hydro readings-----At this point (5 days), you have nothing to lose. Rehydrate a pack of US-05 (or similar) and chunk it in there.

What temperature was the wort when you pitched the yeast? I'm surprised nothing else started to grow after five days unchallenged. Is the wort cloudy now? At this point you might as well throw in some dry yeast and wish for the best.

Thanks guys. The readings were hydro readings. The temp was in the low 70s when I pitched. I have a plate chiller. The beer is clear. I've never had this problem before so I was unsure how long I could go before having to dump. I'll pitch again tomorrow (after I go get more yeast) if there is no gravity change.

Latest posts

Back