No Chill Cube. Where to find or buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Ok i've searched the forums and worked the Googles. But i can't find a photo or a detailed description on where to buy or what to buy. (even the HBT Wiki didn't help)

Can someone direct me to a photo or somehow help.

Thanks!

Basically, you want a 5 gallon HDPE container. It'll have a "2" inside the recycle imprint. I got a couple at WinCo for $6 or something.

ahh ok, i was thinking it was more like a soft plastic bag. When i read on wiki that you push out the excess air. I miss read i guess.

Thanks for the insite.

I know home depot has 5 gallon homers that are food safe. Can i use my normal ale pale?

ahh ok, i was thinking it was more like a soft plastic bag. When i read on wiki that you push out the excess air. I miss read i guess.

Thanks for the insite.

I know home depot has 5 gallon homers that are food safe. Can i use my normal ale pale?

These HDPE jugs are basically like large, thick-walled milk jugs. They soften a little at high temps, and it's pretty easy to squeeze them enough to get the air out. I'd stay away for the buckets for no-chill- an important aspect of the method is an airtight container that you can tip on its side to heat-sanitize the seal with near-boiling wort.

The thick walled milk jugs, is that something i can get from home depot or Lowes?

Thanks again.

Any other reccomendations for no-chill cubes? At $25 after shipping these usplastics cubes are a bit steep. I see a lot of people mentioning finding suitable cubes for under $10, but havn't found any that are priced anywhere near that.

I got a 7 gallon aquatainer from Walmart, however, i wasn't able to squeeze all of the headspace out, hope i dont have any infection issues. I did turn it on all sides to sanitize the surfaces with the near-boiling wort.

I emailed US Plastic about the containers listed in this thread to see if they were rated for the temperature of boiling water, I was told no, here is their response:

"You will need polypropylene material to handle your temperature requirements.
Unfortunately we do not have the material in the type of container you are looking for at this time."

Take it for what you want.

Back