No Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexM40

Reaction score
I bottled a high gravity IPA 2 weeks ago. Just tried one and there is absolutely no carbonation The final gravity showed it to be about 9.5% ABV.
I put it in secondary after 2 weeks, it didn't show any activity. I bottled it after 3 weeks in secondary using 3/4 cup of corn sugar.
I've read that I could rehydrate some bottling conditioning yeast and decap the bootles and add it. How much should I use to avoid bottle bombs or gushers?

I bottled a high gravity IPA 2 weeks ago. Just tried one and there is absolutely no carbonation The final gravity showed it to be about 9.5% ABV.
I put it in secondary after 2 weeks, it didn't show any activity. I bottled it after 3 weeks in secondary using 3/4 cup of corn sugar.
I've read that I could rehydrate some bottling conditioning yeast and decap the bootles and add it. How much should I use to avoid bottle bombs or gushers?

The amount of yeast does not affect final carbonation level or CO2 pressure. The amount of carbonation is determined only by the amount of fermentable sugar in the beer at the time of bottling.

Brew on :mug:

A big, 9.5% beer might take a while to carb up. I know it's an IPA, but you might just want to wait a couple more weeks.

I had a 9.2% Marzen take 4 months before I ever heard a hiss.

Of course, your yeast very well may be stressed/dead...

A big, 9.5% beer might take a while to carb up. I know it's an IPA, but you might just want to wait a couple more weeks.

I had a 9.2% Marzen take 4 months before I ever heard a hiss.

Of course, your yeast very well may be stressed/dead...
That's what I'm thinking, the yeast may be dead. I'll wait some more. Thinking ahead though, in case it's still no hint of carbonation after the additional time, I've read that uncapping and adding wine yeast could solve the problem, but how much do I add and do i rehydrate it first?

I have only heard of such a thing before. I have heard to rehydrate it and then add a couple of drops to each bottle, or just a few "grains" of the dry yeast will also work.

Back