No carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
I know this question has been beat to death but I cant figure it out from reading the forums. I brew a beer and leave it fermenting in my primary for 3-4 weeks. Most I transfer in to the secondary for about 2-3 more weeks then I boil 3/4 cup corn sugar and add that to my bottling bucket and rack on top of it. I stir it a few times lightly and again about half way through bottling process, then cap as I go. They sit at about 70 degrees for 3 or more weeks, some are there for over a month or two. Almost all come out undercarbed. I have no clue why they wont carb. When i open them there is the tiniest hiss but taste flat. The only thing I can think of now is I broke one part of my bottle capper. They still go on fine and seem to seal and dont leak if I hold them upside down but everyonce in a while I will notice some crud on the bottle tops where they seal. So I thinking something is getting out but cant tell. People like the beer I make but always take one deink and say it good but flat. I just want them carbed, any suggestions?

Seems to me you are doing everything right. The only thing I can think of is the caps aren't going on tightly enough. It may not be evident when you hold them under the water because it is only slightly loose and is leaking very slowly. Maybe others will have some ideas. I would try another capper.

Sounds like good reason to suspect your capper. If you can find another home brewer in your area you might borrow a capper next batch. Is there a home brew club in/near Logan? If not, ask at your local craft beer store who in your area is a home brewer.

I've been having the exact same problem and it's pissing me off. I considered the capper but don't see how mine could be defective. I also considered the corn sugar I'm using. Are you using dated corn sugar, because mine is about 4-5 years old? I've considered that perhaps that may be the cause and I am gonna try fresh stuff here soon. Good luck to you.

I would suspect the capper but maybe you might need to add a bit more sugar? I use 5 oz per 5 gallons. not sure how that = in cups, but I'm guessing it might be closer to a cup than 3/4. just a thought, hope you get it figured out

No home brew club here but my local brew place is like 10 miles away. I think I will just get another capper. My sugar is fresh as far as I know. I buy it then use it so dont think thats the problem. Dont want to add more sugar because I dont want to blow my bottles. Is there any specific capper that works better than others. My last one cost about 15 dollars so easy to replace. Its hard to describe it but its plastic and red. I have the bottles on the ground or counter then place the cap and push down on the handles. I know they all work the same in the concept but is one better.

I picked up the agata bench capper for just under $40. I have the wing capper also for a backup but a nice bench capper is hard to beat

I would suspect the capper but maybe you might need to add a bit more sugar? I use 5 oz per 5 gallons. not sure how that = in cups, but I'm guessing it might be closer to a cup than 3/4. just a thought, hope you get it figured out

5 oz is just under a cup and primes my beer perfect

I'll try that. Is it possible to open up the existing bottles and add 1/8 tsp corn sugar to them and recap them. It's a good beer and I want to carb it somehow. Been drinking it flat but am willing to risk contamination for a carbed beer the rest if the way. Is this an ok idea

I've been using the Grolsch style bottles (500ml and 1L sizes) without any issue. What you're facing is just one of the reasons why I picked these bottles. I didn't want to face any trouble capping the beers. Plus, I didn't want the waste of caps, or the hassle of taking even longer to bottle each batch. With the Grolsch style, you assemble the bottles before hand (really easy once you've done two or three, I do it while watching TV for fresh/new bottles) and you're good to go. Fill them up a few at a time, then close them and set them aside. It's even easier if you just flip the top onto the bottle, then push the lower ring down (sealing/closing it up in a fraction of a second). You can even do it one handed (fill up one, close the one before it, rinse, repeat)...

To rule out anything else, pick up some of the Grolsch bottles the next time your at the LHBS... Have the person there show you which way to put the tops on (or see if they'll assemble it for you the first time)...

I would be rather nervous about adding more sugar to brews in bottles... Better, in my opinion, to have a party, to blast through the supply, and figure out (exactly) where things are going sideways... Maybe bring a couple of your [now] empty bottles to the LHBS to get them to show you exactly how to get the cap on completely. Since I've not done it (and plan to never use a capper) I don't know where you could be going wrong there. Or even if that's the complete issue.

Just wondering,but are they inconsistant with a longer time in the refrigerator too?

Not sure what you mean with inconsistent but it doesn't matter if u leave them in the fridge for 24-week. Still no carbination. I'll get a grolish and try one. I have 2 kegs now and will do them mostly but need to bottle some for travel brews.

if you broke it you need to get another if you have this problem, if its not that its not using enough priming sugar or the yeast just"dont wanna" yet, get a new bottle cap sealer or grolsh bottles(probably the more expensive route)

I have had this problem before and here is how to figure out what went wrong:

Pull six bottles (minimum) decap and 1) add a few grains of dry ale yeast (like US 05) to a couple, 2) add some sugar to a couple, and 3) add both yeast and sugar to a couple. Recap. Let sit at least 2 weeks at 70 degrees and something will happen.

You should be able to figure it out from there. If nothing carbonates I think it would be a bad capping job or something (like bleach) killing off the bottle yeast.

SKMO, I didn't even think to find out what the OP used to sanitize the bottles and such... That could be the killer right there...

Pick up some StarSan (one step) to use moving forward. Just make sure you mix it up to the correct concentration level.

SKMO, I didn't even think to find out what the OP used to sanitize the bottles and such... That could be the killer right there...

Pick up some StarSan (one step) to use moving forward. Just make sure you mix it up to the correct concentration level.

I think the problem can be boiled down to 1) no viable yeast 2) no sugars 3) wrong environment for yeast and sugars.

#1 is unlikely. #2 can happen if a person forgets the priming sugar, pretty common, #3 is more complicated and the cause of most problems.

I will try more prime when I bottle next time and if it works I will pound a few for everyone who helped.
Thanks everyone

Go Broncos

Quick question in this topic area. I have a 6 gallon batch, when I bottle do I need more priming sugar or is the same for a gallon batch gonna work?

If I add more yeast at bottling, would using champagne yeast work, that is what is used in soda?

Quick question in this topic area. I have a 6 gallon batch, when I bottle do I need more priming sugar or is the same for a gallon batch gonna work?

If I add more yeast at bottling, would using champagne yeast work, that is what is used in soda?

I use 1 ounce of priming sugar (by weight) per gallon. That works pretty well.

I'd not use champagne yeast. It would probably be ok, but it's more attenuative than most ale yeast. That means it might eat a bit more of the sugars than the ale yeast did, and could cause overcarbonation and possibly bottle bombs.

Having to re-yeast at all is very rare in making beers- I've done it a couple of times for certain lagers and bigger beers. So it's not a routine thing at all. However, if I was going to do it I'd use about 1/3 package of dry yeast like nottingham.

Back