No carb after secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpaulsen

Reaction score
I have been noticing recently with my cider now beer that after its been in the secondary for over a month, i can't get it to bottle prime. My last two ciders and 1 beer did not carb up after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.
I add the correct sugar to the brews at bottling time and the ferm temp is around 21C for the ciders or 18C for the beer. 21C is the temp for the bottles.
I am very careful to keep the trub out when i rack, but that might be why there isn't enough yeast to prime.
Any thoughts on why i can't get carbonation? I've done about 15 beers and this is the first one that didn't carb up. But it's also the beer that's been in the secondary the longest.

There should be plenty of yeast in suspension still to prime, but with a long secondary like that it's going to take longer. If you prefer secondaries, knock it down to a week or so and try it again. The others still may carb unless you have leaky caps, it's just going to take a few more weeks.

I sacrificed a bottle of my beer and tried it and you were right, it is mildy carbonated. All of the Beers I've done in the past carbed up in 2 weeks but i guess the longer secondary time on this one slowed it down.
The ciders were in secondary for almost two months so im sure they won't carb. Ones been bottle conditioning since april to no avail.
Anyone have a ball park for how long a beer can ferment until you have to add yeast at bottling? And same for cider?

Back