No bubbles, no froth at the top, but there is a yeast cake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jragon

Reaction score
My 4th batch, no bubbling, it does not appear to be fermenting at all. I would just assume the yeast was dead and pitch some more, but there is a great big yeast cake at the bottom.
Im using a glass carboy, so I can see it hasnt fermented. I didnt take a gravity reading because i finished my batch at 3am and didnt want to re-sanitize my dipper. Laziness.
Any clue what I should do?

You say you finished at 3 am. 3am this morning? If so fermentation can 24-48hrs or even a bit longer to get going. You say you see a yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter...my bet is that the yeast are in their growing phase and you'll start seeing some action soon.

What can sometimes be mistaken for a yeast cake, is just trub that has settled. Was it an all grain batch?

I am brewing the reqium raspberry. I found the recipe here. Its my first time stepping out of the "box" and actually buying all my ingredients at my lhbs.
Here is the recipe list:
6 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 87.25 %
12.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.74 %
2.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (7 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
40.00 oz Raspbery Fruit (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc

Nottingham yeast

So, this is also the first time I activated(?) my yeast by swishing it around in what was prob hot water, and then dumping it into my wort in the fermentor.

I posted this only 16 hours or so after I had originally pitched the yeast. I know that was too soon to be worried, but it was the first time I had done the yeast this way, and i had a bad feeling. I think I was right because now it has been two days, and still notta. Its the same as I described it before.
I think you are prob right about it being trub.

Thanks all for your attention. This is a great site. Even some of my friends that have been brewing for decades werent sure what to tell me.
J

Back