No boil IPA recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I bought a bells two hearted extract clone recipe. Dead ringer clone from northern brewer. And I was thinking of doing a no boil version of the recipe.

I was also thinking of adding additional hops as needed.

Any tips on doing a no boil with this recipe? How do the steeping grains and liquid malt extract look to use with a no boil recipe?
Do I just steep all of the hops for a half hour at 170degrees before I chill the wort??

Original Recipe:
Steeping grains
- 1lbsBriessCaramel40

LME
- 9.15lbs gold malt syrup

Hops
- 1ozCentennial(60min)
- 1ozCentennial(20min)
- 2ozCentennial(5min)
- 1ozCentennial(Dryhop)

New recipe Hop schedule.

Steeping hops
1 oz centennial
1 oz chinook
2 oz centennial
1 oz amarillo
1 oz citra

dry hops
1 oz citra
2 oz centennial

Correct me if I am wrong, but no boil would kill hop utilization and bitterness would be non existent, which is the exact opposite of what you want in an IPA? If you are going to be steeping grains and hops anyways, why not just do a boil? I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't boil when it seems you are using all the same equipment and would therefore have the same amount of cleanup?

Correct me if I am wrong, but no boil would kill hop utilization and bitterness would be non existent, which is the exact opposite of what you want in an IPA? If you are going to be steeping grains and hops anyways, why not just do a boil? I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't boil when it seems you are using all the same equipment and would therefore have the same amount of cleanup?
Oh that no boil thing seems to be the hot thing right now. There are a few breweries near me that are doing it and the hops taste great. No bitterness but the sweet and citrus flavors really pop.

No boil, but you can whirlpool some hops for 20-30 minutes at 160F and you will get plenty of bitterness.

This.

I did an all-DME no-boil and whirlpooled several oz. at 160F for 20 minutes, then dry hopped the hell out of it and it's plenty bitter. Not Two Hearted bitter, but at least as bitter as most commercial NEIPAs, and probably a little more.

Depending on which hops you choose, a whirlpool done at 160F for 20-30 minutes, consisting of 5-8 oz hops, will add anything from 15 to 30 IBUs, maybe more. I cannot comment on whether it's isomerized bitterness, or just " perceived ", but coupled with a moderate to hefty dry hop ( which also adds some bitterness - see Janish, I think ), you will get bitterness. I wouldn't be afraid of the lack of. Sure, you would probably need a few takes to dial it in, but in the end, you will get the results you are seeking.

Latest posts

Back