No acid Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr24

Reaction score
so i forgot acid Malt at the brew shop. My waters PH is 7.8 I'm using 12 lb 2 row 1 c20 12oz munich 12oz carapils 4oz torrified wheat is there a way to determine the out come of the PH when i mix all this Grain in will i be any where near the 5.2 Range? i have gypsum but i didn't want to use it to bring it down from a 7 that seems like a lot to use.
any help would be appreciated

Brewing waters pH is an essentially irrelevant factor. Mash pH calculators ignore it. What really matters is the alkalinity in ppm as CaCO3, from which one can assess the bicarb value of the water (or visa-versa), From there, if you also know the Ca++ and Mg++ values along with the alkalinity as CaCO3, you can calculate the RA (residual alkalinity) of the brewing water.

You are flying blind and there is in all honesty no way to calculate your mash pH. A pure guess based upon your grain bill would be 4 ounces of acid malt. If forced to fly blind, that's what I would add.

No way to answer the question accurately.... the PH of your water matters much less then the alkalinity. Try the brew science forum but I'm sure you will get the same answer

Most would target a mash pH of 5.4. Although fine, pH 5.2 is on the very low end of the nominal range of acceptability.

Whatever you choose to do, don't waste your time (or money) adding a popular pH stabilizing powder.

A viable alternative to adding 4 ounces of acid malt (also flying blind here) would be to add 3 ml of 88% lactic acid to your mash water. Another viable alternative would be to add 35 ml of 10% phosphoric acid to the mash water.

Back