Nitrogenating Keg Using Diffusion Stone...Same Volume of CO2 as NCO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccamich

Reaction score
Hey all. I brewed an Irish stout that I am very excited about and I decided to keg it (first time kegging) and to nitro it (also first time nitrogenating). I have all the equipment, the tank, the regulator, the hoses, the diffusion stone, etc and I'm 90% sure that I know how to hook it all up to carbonate/nitrogenate and serve the beer. If this were a normal stout and I was kegging it with CO2, I would want my volume of CO2 in the beer to be somewhere around 1.5-2.5. Because I am nitrogenating it with NCO2 do I want my volume of NCO2 in the beer to be somewhere around 1.5-2.5 as well, or does the addition of nitrogen change the desired volume of gas I would want to nitrogenate the beer?

What you're trying to do is impossible. Nitrogen is basically not soluble in water, you cannot "nitrogenate" beer. What you want to do is to carb your beer to a very low level and then serve it with beer gas using appropriate equipment.

So I carbonate as usual with with CO2 to the desired level, disconnect the CO2, connect the NCO2, and serve?

That is the broad picture, yes. You might want to use the search function on the forum and you'll find several threads with very valuable detailed information.

Back