Nitro with co2 regulator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanim8er

Reaction score
I have a regulator that has no nipple or nut to connect to a co2 tank. I want to use it as a nitro tank regulator anyway. Can I simply add a nitro nipple and nut to this reg?

What part do I need to do that?

Yes, as long as the nipple is for a CGA 580 valve, you are good to go. If you only have a 0-60 psi supply gauge, you will be close to your serving pressure but still within what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yes, as long as the nipple is for a CGA 580 valve, you are good to go. If you only have a 0-60 psi supply gauge, you will be close to your serving pressure but still within what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks! I'm picking up a nitro tank tonight for $30 and I'll get that CGA 580 assembly for another fees bucks... soon I will have nitro!

I can easily swap the gauge. What's the preferred range? 120psi?

While that should work, you would be wise to check the max working pressure on your regulator.

While that should work, you would be wise to check the max working pressure on your regulator.

Well it doesn't say. It only says minimum 500psi with a HP gauge of 2000psi.

It's a cornelius brand regulator. I have a crap ton of them. That's why in hoping to convert one over.

image.jpg

Filled nitro will be higher than 2000PSI. I tried an adapter on a co2 reg for nitrogen and it leaked at the center seal where the 2 halves come together. I have another that works fine. Some regulators will work for both some will not.

Filled nitro will be higher than 2000PSI. I tried an adapter on a co2 reg for nitrogen and it leaked at the center seal where the 2 halves come together. I have another that works fine. Some regulators will work for both some will not.

Well I have a crap load of regulators. Some of them have 3000psi gauges...

I'll just test one out and see it it works. If not, on well...

Thanks

A CO2 regulator is designed for a gas that has a pressure in the low hundreds in the tank.....Nitrogen runs 2500-3000 psi! It may work fine, but I would NEVER consider using it.

H.W.

Eh... I'm going to try it since they sell nitrogen tank adapters for co2 regulators.

If looses regulator, oh well... I have a metric crap ton of them.

Let's just hope I don't lose an eye or something.

Latest posts

Back