American Pale Ale Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got my first half of this on tap right now. It was dry hopped with a little citra. Very nice. The second half has been dry hopped with Ahtanum. I wanted to experiment a bit and hope to have them side by side later this month when it's ready. I think it's going to have a great fruitiness. This is definitely my go-to beer and I'm having fun experimenting a bit with it.

I made this a few months ago and was great but I miss the malt flavor at the end. What yeast can I use to make it a little bit more malty?

I made this a few months ago and was great but I miss the malt flavor at the end. What yeast can I use to make it a little bit more malty?

You could try an english strain. WLP002 or nottingham come to mind. Not too estery for pale ales...might be good.

I'm loving the half dry hopped with Citra. Something is off with the other half for my taste. First time with Ahtanum hops so maybe I'm just not digging those.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The citra half went quick. I was very happy with it. The Ahtanum half is still on tap. Everything settled out and you can really taste the dry hop, and I just don't like that taste. Will definitely go back to the original recipe and/or do the citra dry hop again though.

Gonna do 10gl of this on Sunday. Haven't brewed in a year so gotta go back to an old favorite to get back on the horse. Problem is all my hops are a year old too (vac sealed in freezer).

Gonna do 10gl of this on Sunday. Haven't brewed in a year so gotta go back to an old favorite to get back on the horse. Problem is all my hops are a year old too (vac sealed in freezer).

Meh, should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on the bittering charge.

Yeah. You're fine. I have 1 and 2 year old hops vacuum sealed and in the chiller. I use them all the time. Heat, humidity and sunlight are your foes when it comes to preserving hops.

That 1/2 cup of corn sugar is for a single 5gal keg? I know if it over carbonated I can always bleed some off over a few days but its nice to be sure.

If I cold crash the keg after its carbed will the the dry hops that got out of the nylon bag drop out and clear up the beer? The last one I made had some hop particles in it when you poured it.

I would like to add some malt back bone to this recipe this time around. What would be a good UK malt to use?

I haven't done this in a while, time to brew it up again. I have a similar recipe fermenting right now, but done with citra instead of cascade. Such a good beer.

Did this last weekend (5.5gl batch) but screwed up the hop schedule a bit. I no-chill so I had made my adjustments at work and forgot the schedule there. It was suppossed to be:
FWH - .5 oz Cascade
40 min - 1 oz Perle
Dry hop - 1 oz Cascade

Well, for some reason I did this:
FWH - .5 oz Cascade
40 min - 1 oz Perle
Flame out - 1 oz Cascade (oops)
Decided not to dry hop after the flame out addition.

It sure does smell good right now after a week. We'll see how it goes, lol.

According to the Website:
YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Magnum, Perle
FINISHING HOPS Cascade
MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel
used .5oz Magnum @60
1oz Perle @40
1oz Cascade hop whip or end of boil

This is in the boiling kettle as I type.
For a 5.5 gallon batch I used 9 lbs pale 2-row, .5 lb. caramel 60L, (Assuming this is like crystal malt, all my brewstore had), and .5 carapils.
I also subbed the pearl hopps for .4 oz. Pacific Jade for bittering, kept the IBU's the same, and will dry hop with the remaining .5 oz. cascade hops that will be left over from a 2 oz. purchase.
It's going on a US-05 yeast cake and will be kept in the mid 50's for temps.
Hoping for a 5.0% abv beer, if my efficiency is low it should come right in at the original recipe.
Can't wait for this one to finish, I love me some Sierra Nevada.:D

Well I fell a little off on my post boil volume and wound up with just under 6 gallons of 1.046 wort. It's cold and windy here and my kettle just wouldn't get a good hard boil going, more of a lightly rolling boil.
Looking at a 4.4 abv. with an IBU of 32 if it finishes at 1.012. With the extra volume I fell a little short with the hops but I am thinking that it'll still taste pretty darn good. Almost spot on with the original recipe.

Had some friends over on Sunday, and all felt it was a good rock solid pale ale. This is a keeper and will be on regular rotation on my taps. thanks for a great recipe! CHEERS!

I made this at the beginning of January. Got it kegged up and carbed a few days ago.

Came out real nice!

nierra_sevada.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks again to Biermuncher for another awesome recepie!

My batch of this did turn out a little thin on the mouthfeel, but the hop flavor is excellent. I am ordering a pound of cascade and the next batch I will tweak based on my efficiency and flavor, going for a 5.2 to 5.4 ABV and mashing at a higher temp for a touch more malt flavor.
I am betting that my current batch will win over several friends to how good homebrew can be.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this for my BMC friends on an out of town weekend trip. I ran into some mash issues, so it ended a little sweet. The BMC drinker LOVED it. Came home with about half a gallon. Excellent brew.

Just bottled my 2nd attempt at this yesterday. Holy crap, did this taste awesome even flat and warm. I squeezed 56 bottles out of this batch and the remaining 8 or so ounces went straight to a glass that I sipped away on during dinner. I do no-chill brewing and my 1st try at this I forgot my modified hop schedule at work and totally screwed it up. This time though, everything went perfect. Can't wait until it's carbed up in a couple weeks to drink it again.

I do no-chill brewing and my 1st try at this I forgot my modified hop schedule at work and totally screwed it up.

How did you modify for no chill? I bought the jugs about 6 months ago for the process but have not tried it yet. That was, back then, one of my questions.. Both hop schedule and DMS. I've since learned that, at least with hoppy ales, DMS isn't the issue I worried about.. but, hop scheduling to get both flavor and aroma... and keeping everything from turning bittering is now the big question.

How did you modify for no chill? I bought the jugs about 6 months ago for the process but have not tried it yet. That was, back then, one of my questions.. Both hop schedule and DMS. I've since learned that, at least with hoppy ales, DMS isn't the issue I worried about.. but, hop scheduling to get both flavor and aroma... and keeping everything from turning bittering is now the big question.

For me, I don't go as far as transferring to the jugs. I just do it in the kettle overnight. So far I've just subtracted 20 minutes from each hop addition from the original recipe. Anything at 15 or 10 goes to FWH and anything at 5 or 0 is dryhop. I haven't done any REALLY hoppy beers yet though. I use Brewers Friend for recipes and add a 20 min extended boil time to get an idea of IBUs and things. I haven't run across any problems with DMS and I do my blonde ale that only uses 3 oz of Saaz for the boil and it's always turned out well. I did try a 1 gallon IPA experiment a couple months ago using hops that we picked from the neighbors. If I remember right (don't remember amounts) I did FWH, 40m, 0m, 20m AFTER flameout and then dryhop. Didn't turn out bad but wasn't hoppy like I wanted. I blame that on just making up the recipe on the fly though. I'm not saying that this is THE way to do it but it works for me. This time around with this SNPA recipe and the no-chill schedule proves to ME that it works. At bottling when I sampled, it turned out damn close to the original. Still have another week to go though before I can crack one open and see how it's progressed since then.

Here's a great thread if you haven't read it already:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/

Somewhere in there is the chart I go off of for my hop schedule. So far so good.

So far I've just subtracted 20 minutes from each hop addition from the original recipe. Anything at 15 or 10 goes to FWH and anything at 5 or 0 is dryhop.

Thanks.. now the question.. Dry hop. When do YOU do that? Is it after fermentation is complete or somewhere earlier on. I've chatted online with some folks that "dry hop" about 3 days in.. not at the end of the ferment. If I dry hop, I usually rack into a secondary and dry hop there. I don't like the thought of CO2 bubbles possibly scavenging aroma from my beer. :mug:

Thanks.. now the question.. Dry hop. When do YOU do that? Is it after fermentation is complete or somewhere earlier on. I've chatted online with some folks that "dry hop" about 3 days in.. not at the end of the ferment. If I dry hop, I usually rack into a secondary and dry hop there. I don't like the thought of CO2 bubbles possibly scavenging aroma from my beer. :mug:

I dry hop in the primary but not until about 5 days before I plan to bottle. Depending on the beer it can be after 2 weeks or 3 weeks from pitching. I figured that whether it's in primary or secondary, CO2 bubbles will happen in either so I don't worry about it.

can substitute the C 60 to C40 its what i have in hand ? would this drastically change the recipe?

can substitute the C 60 to C40 its what i have in hand ? would this drastically change the recipe?

not drastically. IT will be good.

On a side note, I love this beer and it is the house favorite. It has a reserved tap on my kegerator and I make 15-20 gallons a year.

So, I've been looking at making a nice session beer with some grains and hops I have on hand and this recipe looks like it's a winner.

The only question I have is regarding yeast. I have a pack of Wyeast 1272 on hand and I was wondering if that would make much of a difference in using that vs. the 1056 that the recipe calls for.

I also don't think I have any carapils/dextrin so would I just up the amount of C60 instead?

1272 should work just fine. Exactly the kind of strain you would want to use.

I personally wouldn't up the crystal malt. Do you have any wheat on hand? I use flaked or white wheat when I need carapils and don't have any.

1272 should work just fine. Exactly the kind of strain you would want to use.

I personally wouldn't up the crystal malt. Do you have any wheat on hand? I use flaked or white wheat when I need carapils and don't have any.

Thanks. I do have some wheat so that's what I will sub for.

So, I have one more question regarding bittering hops. I don't have any Perle hops on hand but these are some that I do have on hand so I was wondering what the best match would be?

I have Columbus, Amarillo, Liberty, Simcoe or Hallertau. I have a lb. of Cascade so I'm good on the flavor and aroma hop additions.

I was leaning towards Columbus but I just wanted to see if anyone had a differing opinion? Thanks!

Personally I would either use Columbus for your bittering or make it all Cascade. I've made this many times and most of those times I didn't have Perle. This is one of my favorite recipes and I'll be making it again soon.

I used this grain bill today with all Citra hops. 6.5 gallons in he fermenter at 1.044. Good brew day, very excited about it.

I brewed this up on Saturday using the original grain bill. I ended up having some Carapils I found to use so that was a bonus.

Ended up using C'bus as my bittering hop.

Finished with 6 gallons in the fermentor at 1.044. Pitched some 1272 and the airlock was bubbling away yesterday! :mug:

Planning on dry hopping with an oz of Cascade once fermentation stops...

Back