Nice jig for keg lid cutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
My dad and I are slowly working on a single tiered system as a summer project. I thought I'd include some pictures of a jig we made from an old lamp post :)

Step 1 was to remove the pressure from the keg, the lock ring and the ball lock\shaft at the top of the keg. This left us with a very nice cylinder to work with.

Step 2 was to find a piece of metal that fit. Fortunately dad never throws anything away so he had an old lamp post that had a natural joint in it. We sliced it to the lengths we needed. See pic:

It cut great:

Anyway, the work continues, but I thought this was a nice adaptation of some of the PVC jigs I've seen online. Wouldn't have thoguht of this solution without seeing those! Now I just have to figure out whether to do electric or propane....hmmm :)

Hehe thanks. She's a German Shorthair.

I wanted bigger holes too but dad thought we'd lose rigidity with the jig. Plus the one keg was smaller at the top and wouldn't have allowed much more. Kind of a funny shape.

Davis: Were you meaning the DIY forum? Is there anyway to move this thread? I don't want to double post...I'd be happy to have this one deleted and I can repost.

Hehe thanks. She's a German Shorthair.

I wanted bigger holes too but dad thought we'd lose rigidity with the jig. Plus the one keg was smaller at the top and wouldn't have allowed much more. Kind of a funny shape.

Davis: Were you meaning the DIY forum? Is there anyway to move this thread? I don't want to double post...I'd be happy to have this one deleted and I can repost.

Your post probably should have been in the DIY forum, but it's not a big deal. If you want it moved, just click the report button (next to quote button) and ask a mod to move it. Easy peezy. :mug:

some guys cut the entire top off, below the handles at the weld line. No rigidity problems and it's a lot lighter. Look fine to use tho.

Nice use of the scrap metal.

Yeah - I can't imagine too much of an issue. I mean i could fit my arm and shoulder in easily. I guess the underside of the lid might be a bit more challenging to clean. I'm tempted to keep all the radii the same, though, so I can satisfy my OCD side and get 3 identical 9" lids.

danio said:

Nope I just was browsing the "new posts" and saw one that said best jig to cut keg. (Or something like that) then saw yours "nice jig" so I thought if yours worked well post it there thats all

The mods will move it if they find is nessesary. Idk what section u posted this. I put threads in the wrong place all the time

Back