Nice clean pale ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Looking to make a summer quafer if you will to mix in with the dipas so here's what I have.

10.5lbs golden promise
8oz Vienna
8oz c10
4oz carapils

Ctz, Galaxy and ff7c's
U.S.-05 or notty yeast fermented in mid 60's

So og1.054, fg 1.010, ibus 45-50

Looking for crisp, refreshing, citrusy. I may sub out say warrior or magnum to bitter since they're a cleaner bittering hop but I have ctz at home and I'd only be shooting for maybe 20 ibus at the 60 min addition so it wouldn't get to ctz heavy in the taste. So watcha think.

Golden promise will give it plenty of body, equal to or greater than the 3.5 lbs of Maris Otter. I'd say sub the MO for GP, just because I doubt it will make any perceivable difference. Other than that I think it looks great should clean and tasty. You could brew the recipe as is and it'd probably be great.

Another small difference that could make it even cleaner is ferment it with Nottingham at 59-61F if possible, I find it's a tad cleaner than us05 at mid 60's.

Golden promise will give it plenty of body, equal to or greater than the 3.5 lbs of Maris Otter. I'd say sub the MO for GP, just because I doubt it will make any perceivable difference. Other than that I think it looks great should clean and tasty. You could brew the recipe as is and it'd probably be great.

Another small difference that could make it even cleaner is ferment it with Nottingham at 59-61F if possible, I find it's a tad cleaner than us05 at mid 60's.

Ok thanks I was thinking of going all GP and also toying with notty as the yeast but I read it can get a little English estery so that's why I went with 05 but I also understand notty floccs better which is also what I'm looking for.

Back