NHC - what category for India pale lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
This beer started as a clone of Hoponious union from Jacks abbey, with some mandarina thrown in, and a keg hop in addition to the dry hop.

I used mixed category in a recent comp, and they thought it was the wrong category, and suggested experimental beer. I'm also leaning towards specialty ipa, or just plain old ipa. It's 60 IBU, 7% abv. A pilsner grain bill, lots of C hops.

Any suggestions?

This beer started as a clone of Hoponious union from Jacks abbey, with some mandarina thrown in, and a keg hop in addition to the dry hop.

I used mixed category in a recent comp, and they thought it was the wrong category, and suggested experimental beer. I'm also leaning towards specialty ipa, or just plain old ipa. It's 60 IBU, 7% abv. A pilsner grain bill, lots of C hops.

Any suggestions?

If it's a mix of styles, 34B is the way to go. If it's "clean", like a lager, it's not an IPA Specialty IPA is more for the red/rye/white IPA and not for lagers.

If it's a mix of styles, 34B is the way to go. If it's "clean", like a lager, it's not an IPA Specialty IPA is more for the red/rye/white IPA and not for lagers.

Thanks Yoop. The problem is that it should be a mix of 2 styles, and "lager" is not a style. I suppose I could call it IPA mixed with german pilsner.....

GOod to know on the specialty IPA category though. Thanks!

Back