NHC 2012 First Round Scoresheets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minny scores are out. Got a 35 for a bourbon barrel flanders red in specialty category. Mini-bos was marked but no place indicated.

Mine too. Judging started last night and continues through Saturday. 535 entries from what I heard. How many did you send? Man these guys scoring 40+ and not getting a sniff of the second round is tough.

I sent in a Schwarzbier and a Porter.. neither placed.

Congrats Osagedr on your silver and two bronze and good luck with your entry into the second round. :mug:

Anyone heard anything from Pittsburgh? The website just says "database received", not sure what that means...

I had checked that last night and I was wondering the same thing. We're only 9 days away from the official release of all results. So if we find out earlier than 04May then my guess is it will not be much earlier at this rate.

Congrats Osagedr on your silver and two bronze and good luck with your entry into the second round. :mug:

How do you know you didn't place? From what I have read, it seems like putting a place on the sheets sent out is the exception and not the rule. The NHC website makes me think that places will not be announce until May 4.

Thanks man. Very happy to have three second-round entries. They are all nice beers but to be honest not the ones I was expecting to do well!

Are you sending anything to Montreal? Mine will go in the mail on Monday--likely about a dozen entries. May is ridiculously busy for competitions.

I had checked that last night and I was wondering the same thing. We're only 9 days away from the official release of all results. So if we find out earlier than 04May then my guess is it will not be much earlier at this rate.

I heard that Pittsburgh had two leftover categories from the first weekend. Hopefully they got most of the sheets ready to go last week, and they got them in the mail Monday. Hopefully we'll start seeing them today or tomorrow?

Anyone have any insight as to what's going on with Chi-town? They seem to be the only site left still judging.

I entered one beer this year. Got a 41 for my Imperial Rye IPA, entered into the specialty category. Mini bos was checked but no placing...

I just received my score sheet from St.Paul. I scored a 42.5 for my Foreign Extra Stout. The mini bos box was checked but no placement indicated so I guess we just have to wait till its posted online to know for sure.

I got my scores from Indy 3 days ago. Scored 38 for my pale ale and made the mini-BOS, but no placement noted. Really satisfying for me.

Anyone enter Atlanta? I can't remember when it said judging would take place but it says, "Database Received." I haven't received anything via snail mail or e-mail yet for any of my 5 entries.

I entered Atlanta. Apparently judging took place April 21-22. I haven't received any scoresheets yet either, I've lowered myself to just checking the NHC website 3 times a day.

Well I got mine from Pittsburgh today. None of my beers had done very well. In fact the one that was probably the best got the lowest score I think. The one that had a pedio contamination got no flaws mentioned. So I don't know who was judging their Belgians but......

Funny thing one of the beers was HEAVILY inspired by Orval. My scoresheet says "over carbonated". I wonder how they'd score Orval if it was entered as homebrew based on carbonation alone. I don't expect second round consideration but I figured I'd give it a shot as my last legal homebrew comp.

Me too. My friends are still raving about it. I think I'll be heartbroken if it doesn't advance. I hope they got a good bottle...

If your experience is anything like mine don't expect much. I had friends that love belgians rant and rave about my saison. It didn't fare well and I think it's a pretty kick ass saison. If they're looking for saison dupont this is not that, but it's a kick ass beer. My dubbel faired just as well as the saison and it had a pedio contamination. I know it was contaminated, I tested with WLD media. Yet it got no mention. I'm not heart broken as I expected this sort of thing though.

Got my sheets back from Pittsburgh today as well. First time ever entering a competition, maybe I should have entered a lower-level one to start - my American Amber scored low enough that I don't even want to mention the score.

Drinking one now, tastes pretty darn good to me, so I guess I have a lot to learn!

Just got my Pittsburgh results too. Entered a Baltic Porter and Cali Common that placed in a local comp. Neither did well here at all and the Cali Common supposedly got infected along the way.

Congrats to other folks that placed though. Quite an accomplishment.

I feel like it has got to the point that judges are picking up on things at the parts per trillion level :)

Maybe there is just so much good homebrew out there now that they have to be this sensitive to differentiate the winners from the losers.

I feel like it has got to the point that judges are picking up on things at the parts per trillion level :)

Maybe there is just so much good homebrew out there now that they have to be this sensitive to differentiate the winners from the losers.

Dude they're not sensitive. I sent (though I didn't know it at the time) a dubbel with a pedio contamination. They gave it a 26 overall. At best based on the BJCP guidelines it could have scored a 20, if the judges knew their crap. I'll let that speak for itself in Pittsburgh. I almost called to have the dubbel pulled upon my on personal discovery of contamination. I decided to let it ride to see IF the judges would spot it, and they did not. It's sad actually because I feel it's very very obvious.

This of course is all assuming they didn't mess up people's entries. So if anyone here entered a dubbel in Pittsburgh and they got a "yuck ropy pedio contamination" on their score sheet, it's probably mine.

Dude they're not sensitive. I sent (though I didn't know it at the time) a dubbel with a pedio contamination. They gave it a 26 overall. At best based on the BJCP guidelines it could have scored a 20, if they judges knew their crap. I'll let that speak for itself in Pittsburgh.

I'm not pleased with the Pittsburgh scoring at all. I posted in another thread about my experience. Somehow I ended up getting the same two judges on both beers, neither were very seasoned judges. Their scoring did not match their comments (only positive remarks on flavor in the brown ale, including "true to style" but they scored that category 11/20 and 9/20? seriously?) Their comments on both the brown ale & pale ale were almost exactly the same. Not worth the $20 I spent.

This is my 5th year of entering NHC, going back as far as 1997, and I received some of the lowest scores I've ever had in any competition. I know it's not my beer.

Anyone have any insight as to what's going on with Chi-town? They seem to be the only site left still judging.

Don't hold me to it, but I think they just finished their judging on the 25th (probably about 8 hours after you posted your question).

If that was the case, I would imagine you should have your score sheets by now, or will within the next day or two or five.

I received my sheets today and got a 37.5 with my American IPA. I feel like it did pretty well but I am confident it could have done better had there not a been a sizable gap between shipping deadlines and judging. Not trying to complain just my 2 cents.( I suppose everyone had to deal with this too)

In the place awarded section It had a "2" written and then erased.

I'm guessing that I didn't place but feel decent getting a score like that in Portland.

Received my Pittsburgh results today. Lower than expected for everything except my pale ale. I try not to get caught up in the actual scores for beers, but my APA has very positive comments yet the score it received was a cumulative 33. It did get sent to mini best of show and my scoresheet says first place on it, but I'm a little suspicious of that because of the score. No idea if it is advancing.

Got my scoresheets today from Portland. Had 10 with placements written on the coversheets. 6 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds. Should have a number of them at my club's booth during club night and our hospitality suite shift.

750 entries in that region, and you're basing this on a couple comments from brewers who think their beer is better than the BJCP judges thought? Face it, us homebrewers have ugly baby syndrome when it comes to our creations. ;)

Well, and the guy who thought his beer was worse (i.e. infected) than the judges thought:

Well I got mine from Pittsburgh today. None of my beers had done very well. In fact the one that was probably the best got the lowest score I think. The one that had a pedio contamination got no flaws mentioned. So I don't know who was judging their Belgians but......

I just started reading this thread tonight, but when you mentioned this beer one page 2 or whatever, I totally would have predicted that the judges wouldn't notice.

I have had poor experience with the NHC in the past. I figure I'll give it this one more year, but... I'm prepared to start ranting once I get my scoresheets back. The first year I entered I had my saison judged as a wit (and one judge said it was too dry for style). I should have quit then before I fell further behind.

Received my Pittsburgh results today. Lower than expected for everything except my pale ale. I try not to get caught up in the actual scores for beers, but my APA has very positive comments yet the score it received was a cumulative 33. It did get sent to mini best of show and my scoresheet says first place on it, but I'm a little suspicious of that because of the score. No idea if it is advancing.

Well done on the finish! Your experience is similar to mine, so perhaps that is indicative of how Pittsburgh judges were scoring their beers as a whole. I'm okay if judging across the site is consistent. My complaint above was based on the fact that the same 2 judges (apprentice and non-ranked) scored 2 different style beers, their remarks on both were very similar (like they had a playbook of comments,) and their remarks didn't sync with the score. If AHA hadn't jacked the entry fee up this year, I might not be complaining. But I expected better feedback from a national comp.

wonderbread23 said:
Got my scoresheets today from Portland. Had 10 with placements written on the coversheets. 6 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds. Should have a number of them at my club's booth during club night and our hospitality suite shift.

Congrats and well done! I will definitely be stopping by your club's booth at NHC.

Congrats! I entered Pittsburgh, and my scores were generally lower than expected, but I still had 3 beers advance. My Cabernet Lambic scored a 34, but it still managed to win sours (on the other hand my Berliner scored a 38 and didn’t advance). A sour porter aged in a bourbon barrel on cherries scored a 32 and got a 3rd in fruit beer. I also got a 2nd in Belgian Ale with a table beer finished with Brett B in the bottle, at a 39.5 that was more what I would expect to place.

Sadly my lowest score (26.5) was the one I put the most effort into, a gueuze that I blended from four different pale sour beers.

Back