Next step after broken bottle washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I only have 4 kegs right now and I still will bottle the specialty beers that I make and that I drink less often. I bought the dual washer and the *(#@)%*! thing broke in about 10 uses. What do you guys use to wash bottles easily and quickly. Most importantly, something that would not break as fast! If possible, it would be a great addition if it would fit for carboys too.

Thanks guys!

Which type, and what broke?

I still have mine, however it's the single plastic on-faucet version. After a few years of use the shut-off plunger inside tends to get stuck once in a while and has drenched me and the bathroom. A little prodding with the stainless shaft of an old dial thermometer gets it back in place.

I've seen some very crafty DIY bottle washer projects on blogs and HBT.

I use the same one rhy333 uses. Had it for years. Is all brass. Replace the rubber gasket once in a while. Gasket is the same as used for garden hose fittings. The rubber gaskets lasts much longer than the vinyl ones.

I don't have anything special to wash bottles.
I do rinse them out pretty thoroughly when I empty them and let them dry upside down before boxing them up. WHen I'm getting ready to bottle, a good rinse out again, followed by a good dunk in sanitizer is all I need. Every once in a while one does need a scrub with bottle brush and very rarely, one will get recycled if too much gunk has collected / grown in there.

I also have the brass "Jet Carboy & Bottle Washer." About $12 and virtually indestructible. It does a fine job of blasting the crud off the bottoms of bottles. Just make sure you have a bottle (or your hand) over it when you first turn on the water, as it shoots a little spurt while the valve seats.

I see they make a stainless steel version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the brass "Jet Carboy & Bottle Washer." About $12 and virtually indestructible. It does a fine job of blasting the crud off the bottoms of bottles. Just make sure you have a bottle (or your hand) over it when you first turn on the water, as it shoots a little spurt while the valve seats.

I see they make a stainless steel version.

first this brass one on the hot water sink, and then this guy to sanitize. Yes, it's labour intensive, but I haven't had a single problem.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODV1Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

i've got this one but never used it. i wonder if you couldn't drill the hole out and put in a brass barb.i always used a single plastic or the brass one

Back