Newbs from Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have recently inherited (not through death) all of my fathers home brewing equipment. From bottles to CO2, to the mini containers to actually brew beer in. I'd definitely would like to start doing this ASAP, mainly because why have this stuff sit around, and if I can make some decent beer, I'd like to get a more complex setup (pending I can actually do this).

I like all kinds of beer, my favorite being free beer, then Guinness, and then going from dark to light. Hopefully if all goes well, I can learn a lot like I do from most forums, and can start yet another freaking hobby :D

~98EXL

Welcome! You've come to the right place. Tons of collective knowledge and experience available from a lot of nice folks. You'll be making great beer before you know it.
Good luck!

I'm excited about making beer...probably more than I should be, but who knows. I'm glad to know that there is a plethora of information here, so that I can eventually share the fruits of my labors with my buddies, and the girlfriend as well....

...win win situation for me the way I see it!

:mug:

I live really close to Annapolis. I'm going to spend part of my weekend inventorying all of the stuff I have, and figuring out what I need to get still, like a hydrometer, I know I need one of those. I started reading through the newb section, all kinds of good info there.....makes things easy for me.

awesome! Just a quick question, I noticed most peoples sigs, and see primary, secondary, etc etc, can someone explain this to me?

It's just a way for people to show off what they are brewing.

Primary = primary fermenter. The first vessel (either a food grade plastic bucket or carboy) fresh wort goes into to ferment.

Secondary = secondary fermenter. This is a second vessel (usually a carboy) that can be used to help clarify and mellow flavors. Little actual fermentation occurs during secondary.

Conditioning = beer that is bottled (or kegged). The beer usually sits in bottles for 2-3 weeks to carbonate and to improve flavor.

The others are self-explanitory.
:mug:

Welcome, dude!

I live in Columbia - if you ever come down 100 that far, I'll be happy to greet you!

You are fortunate to live within easy distance of Annapolis Home Brew. Go in there and talk to Brooks (first name), or his brother; they own and run the joint, and are great guys.

It's up Ritchie Highway somewhere, don't remember where exactly- you can find them on their website, here

Cap'n Jewbeard said:
Welcome, dude!

I live in Columbia - if you ever come down 100 that far, I'll be happy to greet you!

You are fortunate to live within easy distance of Annapolis Home Brew. Go in there and talk to Brooks (first name), or his brother; they own and run the joint, and are great guys.

It's up Ritchie Highway somewhere, don't remember where exactly- you can find them on their website, here

I did go there, it's behind the bowling alley less than a mile from my house! I went in there just wanting to talk to someone about getting started, and walked out with a Munton's Gold Stout kit, some sanitizing solution, and the priming sugars. I already have 20 16oz Flip Top bottles, 8 20oz pop tops, and 14 25 oz champagne bottles. As well as 4 growlers, and 5 mini kegs. Have plenty of glassware, no ingredients though.

I don't know which guy I talked to, but I was there for 90 mins talking, and I plan to go back and get some cool stuff next weekend after my first batch 'Foolishly Stout' is almost ready to go into the second carboy. Link to my thread here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26175

We'll see how things go! I am very excited!

471182897_3baf1c99ed.jpg

Fool's Stout bottled so far, and Amstel Clone (left) Pilsner (center) and IPA (right) in the works....all in less than one month!

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Orpheus said:
Looking good man! Your IPA looks like it's going strong still.:mug:

I'm in Germantown, MD. in Montgomery County.

Thanks. The IPA didn't do squat with the liquid yeast I pitched into it on Saturday, so I put the dry yeast in Sunday, and then it started going! I think I missed the 1-3 hour window of pitching after activating. The two primaries are going into secondaries probably wednesday.

I frequent G-Town all the time, have lots of friends there. I'm right outside of Annapolis.

I can't wait to start drinking the brews, I wonder how they will turn out. I have tasted my Fool's Stout, and Unknown Pilsner, so far so good. The IPA and Amstel Clone I have yet to taste...but I will next week...want to see how the boil kits turned out.

:ban: :ban: :ban:

If you ever make it up to northeast B-more (White Marsh/Edgeweed), you're welcome to come by and sample a few brews. Also, see the thread in the gatherings forum, a couple of us are planning to get together for the May release at Duclaw in Fell's Point.

my girlfriend and I were thinking about going to the one in Arundel Mills....it's only 15 mins away, and we can worry less about the drive home

Orpheus said:
Looking good man! Your IPA looks like it's going strong still.:mug:

I'm in Germantown, MD. in Montgomery County.

Also in Germantown! Also with the welcoming!

Nothing spells happiness like a closet full o' beer. :rockin:

[Wrote this then realized this thread was old!]

Hey there! I'm in Millersville, but lived most of my life in Annapolis. Feel free to PM me if you need any help!

I actually brew at a friend's house in Baltimore though.

Check out Annapolis Homebrew (behind Pete's Cycle on Rt 2 in Severna Park) and see if they ever do a demonstration. I just got back into it after a hiatus and went to a demo at The Thirsty (Brewer north of Baltimore nearer where I work and brew) and it was very helpful for me. My brewing buddies are new to brewing and enjoyed it too.

Three important tips:

1) cleaning and sanitizing gear is very important.

2) patience is a virtue. It sucks to wait 6, 8 or more weeks for your beer but it's better than drinking all your beer before it really "peaks"

3) RDWHAHB = Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew!

Oh, and I used Papazian's "New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" when I got started. It was very good, and if you've inherited a copy it's well worth reading, but if you're buying a book I've just read Palmer's "How to Brew" and now think that's the book I'd reccomend to beginners.

Cheers!

Moon

Annapolis Home Brew is where I have been buying all of my stuff from...I love it.

Damnit, vB DB error erased my reply......

I really think it was over activated....everything went fine

tasted my stout last night....I think I want to say "mmmmmmmmmmmm" but I may be partial. Carbonation has started nicely. I couldn't wait 2 more weeks to make sure it was coming along nicely....but it is, I feel so much better now

popped open another bottle this weekend of the stout. Sounds and tastes carbonated, but needs to age a bit more.

On a side note, brewed 10 more gallons, one batch being Bumble Bee Blonde Ale ready to debut on the Forth of July.....and Transformers :rockin:

CoachMcguirk said:
didnt see this thread... cool

any recomendations on a good store to get started?? and what should i be looking to spend??

I started off by borrowing my buddy's kit, he had plastic buckets for his kit. I bought 2 glass carboys, 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon. Used the 6.5 plastic bucket for mixing, etc. I buy all of my stuff from www.annapolishomebrew.com they are located in Severna Park. Honestly, if I were to do it from scratch, I would buy their deluxe starter kit. It's $110 I think more or less, and it has everything to get you going. After you do a couple of brews, you will see what kind of other equipment you want/need depending on what things you have already lying around the house.

One thing I would totally recommend is the auto-siphon. Best $12 I spent!

Brooks at AHB is very knowledgeable and can talk your ears off if there is no one around. I would say between AHB and HBT, I have learned so much in the past 2 months, it's ridiculous!

It's a fun hobby, I thought that I would just do this here and there, but I'm up to 2 primary's, 2 secondaries and I may even go to 3, who knows, I love brewing. I love to cook, so it all goes hand in hand. One bit of advise, do not under any circumstance be afraid to ask questions. I still have hundreds of questions, but they get answered as I need them or I find it here on the wiki or in threads.

Good luck, it's so much fun, no really, it is!

Back