Newbie with some fresh hops!! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBeardyBeer

Reaction score
So I just scored a couple of grocery bags of fresh hops from a friendly neighbor on craigslist. I helped her pick them off the vines this morning. She doesn't know what variety they are and no one has brewed with them yet. They've been in the ground 2 years. Nice and green, with (to my untrained eye) a nice amount of the yellow good stuff hidden inside. There are two varieties, one smells more strongly than the other. Both have some pine notes, earthy, and a little background of garlic. One has much more of the pine with a touch of a citrus too. Since they are fresh I want to get them brewed up!

My loose plan, until otherwise advised, is to brew the following:
5 gallon batch
1lb of crystal 10L steeped
6lbs of extra light DME
Maybe some oats or carapils steeped? advice on that?

1oz of a known bittering hop (want advice on this) at 60m
A whole bunch of the fresh hop #1 (more smelly one) at 15m
A whole bunch of the fresh hop #2 (the less smelly one) at 5m
Potentially some dry hopping, but I don't know how to keep these cones fresh

1 packet of S05 or Nottingham for yeast- something neutral

Looking for feedback on:
1. How to prepare the hops. They are pretty dirty. Wash? Sanitize? Leave 'em earthy? Don't want to lose any flavoroma.
2. Any suggestions on quantity of the hops? I'll weigh what I put in but its all a shot in the dark at this point. Neither is especially pungent. I'm cool if it ends up rather hoppy, rather end up on that end of the spectrum.
3. Suggestions for a neutral bittering hop? I figure it'd be best to not waste the fresh on bittering without knowing what its all about.
4. Other pieces of the puzzle that I'm missing? General advice about this?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom, direction, and/or admonishments. Cheers! :mug:

I would brew a smash beer with them so you really know what you've got. The grain bill you have there isn't technically a smash but its simple enough to not matter IMO. Id go with a hop schedule I call 1234 for obvious reasons lol...

1 oz @ 60
1oz @ 15
2oz @ 10
3oz @ 5
4oz Dry Hop

To clean the hops just use a sponge and some water. You may also want to dry them out on window screens or they'll be kind of green and grassy. Though some people like wet hopped beers so that's your call. Best of luck!!

While it looks like "A WHOLE BUNCH" wet. I bet it aint.

Switch them around (smelly to 5 min, etc) and roll with it.

Back