Newbie with fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgarmsmith

Reaction score
I found this forum a few weeks ago, and I've been reading and learning a ton. Today is Day 20 of my first homebrew. I received a standard Caribou Slobber extract kit from Northern Brewer as a gift. I'd been wanting to give it a try and my lovely girlfriend may have created a monster with that gift. So my question is about how long it takes in there primary.

The kit calls for 14 days. I've read some posts where recipes were done in as little as a week. My airlock shows evidence of continued fermentation, and yesterday (day 19) I checked the SG and it was at 1.014. Today I checked again and it was 1.013.

Why is mine taking so long. If anything, I would think it may be quicker since it's about 1000 degrees here in Savannah.

I'm trying to figure out some of the basics before I jump into BIAB. I'm doing an American Pale Ale in the morning to gain even more experience...and beer.

Thanks in advance.

Certain beers may finish faster than others. For instance I just brewed a hefe about a month ago and it finished up fermenting in 10 days. Fermentation will do its thing and will finish depending on many variables. Did you have a slow start to fermentation ? Also are you sure you are reading you gravity readings correct? What was the gravity reading around day 14?

Yeast types, yeast vitality and ferm temps are a few of the variables to factor in. If the yeast you used was a dry sachet, did it take a day or so before you saw activity? The best advice is to let your hydrometer be your guide and rack your beer when you feel sure you have fermented to your target FG. If you bottle your beer, this is real important to let it be a terminal gravity.

I did a batch of Caribou Slobber this winter and my records indicate it fermented about the time NB gave me on the worksheet.

Once you get started with AG in BIAB, you may try using different yeasts inc liquid yeasts where you build a starter. In my experiences, a healthy liquid yeast from a starter will start your fermentation with a predictable vitality. Dry yeast is fine too, just don't use it much.

Questions: What is your current ferm temp, and has that temp been stable thruout your ferm? Was your yeast a dry sachet? What did NB say to expect for your final gravity?

Ferm temp started higher than I wanted. And I've kept it around 70. I used dry yeast and it was bubbling strong within an hour or two. NB doesn't list an FG strangely enough. I've found that most people range from 14 to 18. There are plenty of posts on the web looking for an FG, and that's where people seem to fall. But I feel like my batch is still working.

well didn't have to be day 14 exactly but around that date such as day 13 or 15

What temp did you ferment at.Being its your first kit I'm going out on a limb and gunna say probably not on the cold side being its the middle of the summer.Cold would take longer.That being said 20 days you should be LONG done fermenting.I'd be bottling by now..but the rule is 3 days at the same FG.Also if your dying to try it you know you can drink the beer in the sample..It will give you a very good idea what the final product will taste like..Cheers

Didn't mean to be smart Tx6686. I just opened it for the first time on day 19.

It was definitely not cold when I started. Probably too high. I've since purchased a wort chiller.

I'm just going to keep checking the FG and see what it does. Just checked it a little while ago and the airlock is still moving.

I'm sure you are anxious to be drinking a bottle of your first brew! One advantage of longer fermentation is the beer has a chance to absorb some of the off flavors that develop during fermentation. Some folks leave beer in the fermenter for weeks or months, but I frankly see little benefit of that with a beer like the Slobber.

Make sure to dislodge any bubbles off the glass bulb of your hydrometer, and see if you need to do any temp corrections. If you have a hydrometer calibrated at 60F and you are at 70F, you won't be much off. Just be aware of the temp differential in case you need to adjust. I bet your beer is going to be awesome!!!

I realized the temp correction but it's only .001 difference. I spun the hydrometer to remove bubbles. Thanks for all the tips.

The Caribou Slobber kit/recipe can end at 1.012-1.014, especially with an extract kit. It's probably done. Bottle it.

I'll be brewing my 3rd batch of slobber today. I've been keeping the carboy in my laundry tub filled with about 5 inches of water. This way I can add frozen milk jugs (filled with water) as needed to maintain the 65-70 degree temp during fermentation. Also use stick-on thermometer on the carboy for true temp reading.

2 weeks fermenting and 2 weeks bottle conditioning equals great brown ale. JMO

I've got a batch of Caribou Slobber that's ready to bottle, today is 3 weeks. Not sure if I'll get to it today though, maybe tomorrow.

Give it another week and then you should be good. C. Slobber is a solid brew I've made twice and have the all-grain kit in my basement which I'll do soon. I find it to a great fall/winter brew and it gets better as it matures in the bottle. I figure if I brew it between now and mid-August it will be perfect by the time the leaves are mostly gone. I have that, a cider, an Oktoberfest and I might do another pumpkin ale again. I've done pumpkin ales from both NB and AIH and I recommend both. I think fall has some of the best seasonal brews.

Didn't mean to be smart Tx6686. I just opened it for the first time on day 19.

It was definitely not cold when I started. Probably too high. I've since purchased a wort chiller.

I'm just going to keep checking the FG and see what it does. Just checked it a little while ago and the airlock is still moving.

I know you didn't mean to smart, my wording was off sorry about that bud. I was just trying to see if you had checked around the expected finish time, but more than likely it is probably done. Just check again with gravity reading to make sure you get same reading. :mug:

Back