Newbie questions? Please advise.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieTheBrewerLADET

Reaction score
1. Im currently brewing an IPA on the higher end of the alcohol scale, using Safeale US-05 yeast. My apartment here in LA gets up to around 75 during the day time but most of the evening and during the night, it is well within the normal temps. How much will this effect my beer taste, and can some aging get rid of the off flavors? I just took a quick sample at a week and it tastes quick bitter and warm alcoholy. Thoughts? Will this change over time? Once dry hopped aged for another 2 weeks or so and then chilled and carbonated...

2. Can I get a yeast strain that can handle these temperatures for IPAs?

3. I still see matter floating in my beer. Its not alot but its clearly suspended matter, either trub or yeast particles binding together. Is a week still too soon and can it all still drop out?

Thank you so much,
Edward

After a week, the temperature becomes much less important. Next time, put the fermenter in a party tub filled with water to dampen temperature swings. You also can regulate the temperature by putting frozen water bottles in the tub. Temperature control is very important during that first week, but I'm sure your IPA will be fine. Quite bitter and warm alcohol aren't such bad things for an IPA.

Aging for an extra 2 weeks might mellow it out then dry hop.

2. The vermont giga yeast likes to start warmer so I would give that a shot

I usually wait 2 to 3 weeks before dry hopping or bottling. Beer seems to get clearer. Hope this helps.

1. Im currently brewing an IPA on the higher end of the alcohol scale, using Safeale US-05 yeast. My apartment here in LA gets up to around 75 during the day time but most of the evening and during the night, it is well within the normal temps. How much will this effect my beer taste, and can some aging get rid of the off flavors? I just took a quick sample at a week and it tastes quick bitter and warm alcoholy. Thoughts? Will this change over time? Once dry hopped aged for another 2 weeks or so and then chilled and carbonated...

3. I still see matter floating in my beer. Its not alot but its clearly suspended matter, either trub or yeast particles binding together. Is a week still too soon and can it all still drop out?

Thank you so much,
Edward

After a week, the temperature becomes much less important. Next time, put the fermenter in a party tub filled with water to dampen temperature swings. You also can regulate the temperature by putting frozen water bottles in the tub. Temperature control is very important during that first week, but I'm sure your IPA will be fine. Quite bitter and warm alcohol aren't such bad things for an IPA.

I agree with Singletrack - get a rubbermaid container and fill it with ~68F water. If it starts getting too hot again just drop a frozen water bottle or two in there for 10-15 minutes at a time.

The first few days are the most critical for ferm temps. 1 week is too soon for fermentation. The dry hops will obviously change the flavor but in my experience it's hard cover the hot alcohol taste

Your ambient air temp is different than the fermenation temp. It gets quite a bit warmer while fermenting.

I do a lot of IPA/APA brews. I was getting some pretty aggressive ferms so I built a chiller. Getting much better brews now. I stay on the low end of the yeasts recommend ferm temp.

Ya, second that on trying to stay at the lower end of ferm termps. I have noticed over the last year and a half of brewing that my store room works pretty darn good during the winter months. I have a heater in there to stabilize temps in the mid 60's. During the summer months my brews didn't taste so good and no amount of time helped them mellow.... I am thinking, and perhaps you could consider this also, that a cheap fix is to put your fermentation bucket, carboy or what ever in a tub of water. The water helps to keep the ferment chamber temps more stable through out the day.
HTH

I appreciate all this and I hate to come on strong but...none of you have even attempted to answer my specific questions and if my beer could still turn out ok....

I agree with Singletrack - get a rubbermaid container and fill it with ~68F water. If it starts getting too hot again just drop a frozen water bottle or two in there for 10-15 minutes at a time.

And again...none of these comments (and I appreciate everything said) have even attempted to answer my questions and or let me know if this beer still has a shot at being good.

No, the hot tasting fusel alcohol will not age out.

I would investigate ways to control fermentation temperatures. A few methods were mentioned already. 75F ambient is way too hot for most yeasts because during the crucial first day or two of active fermentation, the yeast can generate enough heat to raise the beer temp by 10 degrees or possibly more. Some Saison yeasts tolerate and even perform better at high temps like that, but not many other yeasts will work well in that range.

Yes, one week is too soon. If you have a way to cold crash the fermentor, it can help accelerate the precipitation of yeast, trub, and hops particles.

Thank you so much,
Edward

Here in Florida, during the summer, I set my AC to 78. After 8 years I have yet to have an undrinkable beer. Keeping the beer temp from fluctuating is more important than what said temp (within reason) is. Further, I have found any off flavors related to yeast, the yeast are pretty good at cleaning up.

No, the hot tasting fusel alcohol will not age out.

I would investigate ways to control fermentation temperatures. A few methods were mentioned already. 75F ambient is way too hot for most yeasts because during the crucial first day or two of active fermentation, the yeast can generate enough heat to raise the beer temp by 10 degrees or possibly more. Some Saison yeasts tolerate and even perform better at high temps like that, but not many other yeasts will work well in that range.

Yes, one week is too soon. If you have a way to cold crash the fermentor, it can help accelerate the precipitation of yeast, trub, and hops particles.

Thanks for the insight man!

Few questions:

This is a 9.5 percent alcohol beer. Is the warm alcohol flavor surely fusel alcohol or could it simply be the correct alcohol premature and or the effects of tasting it warm, uncarbed?

Also, will my dry hopping potentially help this situation (assuming there is one and Im not just premature yet?)

belgians, sours, maybe an occasional hefeweizn. Nothing else will come out as it ahould in the mid 70s.

Thanks for the insight man!

Few questions:

This is a 9.5 percent alcohol beer. Is the warm alcohol flavor surely fusel alcohol or could it simply be the correct alcohol premature and or the effects of tasting it warm, uncarbed?

Also, will my dry hopping potentially help this situation (assuming there is one and Im not just premature yet?)

Well I wouldn't dump it out or anything. You should see it through. That's a fairly high ABV so yeah you probably are tasting normal alcohol warmth, but at those temps there's certainly some fusels in there too, but hopefully not enough to give you headaches. After a couple you might not notice anything anyway :D

I'll 2nd masonjax ... at 9.5% ... without balancing and whatnot... you'll feel that alcohol a bit. And at those ferm temps, you will experience (likely) some fusel alcohols.

I brewed a high ABV ipa recently and it took a while to balance itself out.

50-qt cooler or similar filled with water works great for keeping carboys cool. Add frozen soda bottles as needed to keep water temps under control. I can maintain low 60's with 2 16oz bottles 2x/day. I can maintain mid/high 60s with 1 bottle 2x/day. Lot depends on tap water temp and ambient temp...

I appreciate all this and I hate to come on strong but...none of you have even attempted to answer my specific questions and if my beer could still turn out ok....

OK... sorry I tried to help ya but ya didn't like my input.

figure it out fer yerself then!

(edit... that comment came after a very long... double batch brew day so should just be considered a drunken rambling!)

Ok is a very relative term.

As you are looking for a short answer and not advice.

No your beer is not OK. Those temperatures are much too high. You were likely fermenting in the 80's. Your beer's flavor will have suffered and the damage is irreversible.

Dump it, drink it, cook with it, do whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Back