Newbie Kegging Question - Two Kegs, One Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A newbie keg question, so please be gentle... ;)

I have an IPA that is kegged, but not yet empty. I have another brew in the secondary that will probably be ready to keg this weekend. The problem I have is, I only have a single CO2 regulator so I can only have one keg connected to the CO2 tank at a time. Can I fill the second keg, seal it and leave it sit in my basement (around 68 degrees) until the other keg kicks? Or am I better off leaving it in the secondary until the other keg kicks? Are there other options available besides using priming sugar? I do not want to start the priming sugar carbonation method, b/c knowing my luck the other keg will kick a couple days in and I would want to force carbonate the new keg with the CO2.

I know I could by a two-way regulator which would solve all of my problems, but right now I cannot spend more money at the moment. The other option would be to get another tank and line to carbonate the second keg, but again I cannot spend more money right now. Trust me, one of these two options will happen later this year. :)

Thank you all in advance and brew on! :mug:

If the keg you are drinking is more than 1/4 empty, you can remove the gas line from it without losing pressure or carbonation very fast. Hook the gas up to the new keg to carbonate it. You can serve 2-3 pints from the old keg with the gas disconnected. At the end of the day, just give the keg you're drinking from a shot of CO2 to bring the pressure back up and prevent carbonation loss while it sits, then put the CO2 back on the new keg so it can continue carbonating. Spray some sanitizer on the posts and QD as you switch back and forth to prevent problems.

Brew on :mug:

Just get a T barb fitting at Home Depot and split the gas hose for a few bucks vs the manifolds.

You can have your keg and drink it too!

Take the gas line off the near empty keg and start the carbonation of the new one, and any time you want to pour a pint put it back on the keg while you pour (you could pour without putting the gas back on but then you will lose a bit of carbonation).

Also as mentioned you can run multiple kegs off the same regulator if you want them carbed to the same level (well actually you could store them at different temps and change the carbonation but really buying a dual reg would be easier than setting up a new keezer) by using a manifold/T/Y as previously mentioned.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will need to look into a manifold, T barb fitting, or splitter. Or just move the line back and forth like it was suggested by a few. :)

Yeah, for a long term solution mount a manifold. For now, just pop the gas line on the new keg and start carbing it while still pulling pints off the old one.

Jumping on this thread, as I've only been kegging for a few months and have a similar question.

I have a 4-way manifold and want to carb 1 keg up while not affecting the other 3, theoretically is shutting the line off at the manifold the exact same as pulling the gas line off the keg? I assume so, yes?

Jumping on this thread, as I've only been kegging for a few months and have a similar question.

I have a 4-way manifold and want to carb 1 keg up while not affecting the other 3, theoretically is shutting the line off at the manifold the exact same as pulling the gas line off the keg? I assume so, yes?

Yes

Yes.

But why would you do that?

Cheers!

Back