Newbie help. Done Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhazel

Reaction score
It has been in the primary for 14 days. There is still a layer of foam/bubbles at the top. I just took a gravity reading and in these 14 days it has dropped from 1.060 to 1.010. I was planning on bottling today but do not want bottle bombs :)

Should I give it another day and take another reading or is it OK?

Thanks! This is my first batch...so Im a bit nervous :)

Even better, give it three days and take another SG reading. Also, thank you for doing your homework enough to know that SG readings are the only real way to know if fermentation is complete, and not asking if your beer is ready based on airlock bubbles. Given that you seem to have done the research, I'm sure your beer will turn out awesome! :mug:

If I may ask, what was your recipe?

Yes, I have been doing quite a bit of reading!

Here was my recipe: (Mini-Mash)

6LBS Ultralight LME
2.5LBS 2-Row
1.5LBS Flaked Wheat
1LB Flaked Oats

1OZ Vanguard (60)
1OZ Sterling (1)
1OZ Coriander(10)
1OZ Bitter Orange (10)
Fresh Orange Zest (10)

WLP400-Belgian Wit Ale

Give or take it should be 6.55% ABV by now...right where it should end up.

Yes, I have been doing quite a bit of reading!

Here was my recipe: (Mini-Mash)

6LBS Ultralight LME
2.5LBS 2-Row
1.5LBS Flaked Wheat
1LB Flaked Oats

1OZ Vanguard (60)
1OZ Sterling (1)
1OZ Coriander(10)
1OZ Bitter Orange (10)
Fresh Orange Zest (10)

WLP400-Belgian Wit Ale

Oh Man I just made that but I used Wyeast Forbidden Fruit(which stinks as it ferments). It turned out great you are gonna love it!!! I let mine sit at 66 for 3 weeks, kegged it and killed it:mug:

Most yeast attenuates in the 75% range...

Use this formula:

OG / 4 = (projected) FG

60 / 4 = 15 (...this is what the FG should be after the brew is done fermenting...)

Since yours is at 10 it's done and you should have no worries about bottle grenades. :D

Back