Newbie Getting Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been homebrewing for a few years now and have decided that bottling no longer is for me. I will most likely be starting a kegerator project and have some questions that I could not find by searching.
Can I convert a 5 lb CO2 fire extinguisher to pressurize my keg? I actually have both the extinguisher and a CO2 regulator and this route would save me quite a bit of money. Also, if i was to do this conversion, would a common filling station still fill it for me? Not sure on regulations and the such.
Thanks! :mug:

In the States all tanks are stamped with the specifics for that tank, ie. an expiration date and the manufacture info. There is no filling station that I know of that would legally fill your converted tank.

Thanks for the reply, I just checked around here and found similar answers. Guess I'll just purchase a new one, I'm sure it is the safer option in the long run.

Yes if it's a CO2 fire ext. you could do it but the expense involved in changing the valve and fitting would probably not be worth your effort or $.

Back