Newbie from Eastern NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveLovesBier

Reaction score
27 year old guy, IT major @ ECU in Greenville, North Carolina. I dig cooking, and eating, and drinking, and technology, and hockey.

So...I love beer, and mentioned to a cousin of mine that I wanted to start homebrewing

He said he had everything I needed, and id just need a few basic tools he couldnt find, and some ingredients...so I dove in!

Can't wait to start checking the place out regularly, start brewing beer, and learning all that I can. My first brew was bottled 3 weeks ago, needs more time but seems like its coming along nicely.

- dave

27 year old guy, IT major @ ECU in Greenville, North Carolina. I dig cooking, and eating, and drinking, and technology, and hockey.

So...I love beer, and mentioned to a cousin of mine that I wanted to start homebrewing

He said he had everything I needed, and id just need a few basic tools he couldnt find, and some ingredients...so I dove in!

Can't wait to start checking the place out regularly, start brewing beer, and learning all that I can. My first brew was bottled 3 weeks ago, needs more time but seems like its coming along nicely.

- dave

welcome to the board and the hobby.. im in raleigh.. will you be at the game on saturday?

Wow, a new guy actually saying he needs to wait longer than 3 weeks to start drinking his first batch. You are a rare breed sir. Congrats. You are off to a great start. Now brew another one before the first one is done. Don't ever stop.

And welcome from RDU. :rockin:

Welcome.

I am from NY but spend alot of time in Greensboro. I always enjoy the beer when I am down there whether it is homebrew or all the fine commercial brews that we can't get in NY.

Wow, a new guy actually saying he needs to wait longer than 3 weeks to start drinking his first batch. You are a rare breed sir. Congrats. You are off to a great start. Now brew another one before the first one is done. Don't ever stop.

And welcome from RDU. :rockin:

I was worried...books and the recipe say it only needs 2 weeks, but it hadnt even started to carbonate when I first tried it...meh. I talked to my cousin, and he said worst case...try it every week or two, itll be ready at some point and worst case scenario you have 3 good cases of beer instead of 4 :) AS it was the other day...it was probably 1/3 to 1/2 as carbonated as a beer should be properly so it was still rather sweet.

welcome to the board and the hobby.. im in raleigh.. will you be at the game on saturday?

on the 30th? yeah, i have a STH 12-pack for the weekend set, and some full STH friends and know several other fans. our plan is to make that the first big tailgate of the season...hopefully the homebrew will be ready to debut there :D

/if im lucky ill grill homemade pizza there, ill see how that works this weekend

Welcome.

I am from NY but spend alot of time in Greensboro. I always enjoy the beer when I am down there whether it is homebrew or all the fine commercial brews that we can't get in NY.

brews to look for: mother earth, duck rabbit, carolina brewing company (not carolina beer company, their brews taste like dirt), highland brewing, aviator brewing

most of those are small and the stuff is hard to find, but if you havent tried their stuff and see those brands, youll likely be pleased. i havent tried everything by all of them, but ive tried a lot :)

Welcome to the board.

And I'll agree with Mother Earth; great beer! They just came out with an awesome porter. Weeping Radish is pretty good, also but they are a lot more limited in distribution.

Actually, more and more great beers are being made in NC. Lots are only in bars (kegs) but we're getting a few more bottlers and even a cannery. :)

Yeah, mother earth, unfortunately, has a limited distribution due to their capacity.

Fortunately...a good friend of mine works at one of the few bars that get their kegs, and she can order any beer their distributor carries for me if I pay cash.

I got a case of the Oatmeal Porter all to myself :D

Back