Newbie Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cauzmo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Newbie to brewing here and in the spirit of the season I would love to brew a cider, but I'm not sure what yeast to use. The ones I currently have available are Lavlin D-47 and EC-1118 as well as Nottingham Ale yeast and Red Star Montrachet. Anyone out there used any of these yeasts for a cider before? Would love some input on the subject.

Red Star Montrachet would definitely work. It is used in the recipe of the famous Ed Wort's Apfelwein on this site.

My local cider mill recommended Lalvin QA23. It's a white wine yeast.
Haven't tasted the cider yet, but fermenting for 6 days and looks pretty active.

Doug

Check out the stickie titled "Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments" in the cider forum from CVilleKevin.
He did a HUGE experiment with a ton of yeast strains in cider.
Great read!

I actually tried Lavlin EC-1118 in the cider with 1 LB of dark brown sugar. I'm told that EC-1118 strips a bit of the apple flavor out, but if it comes to that I'll try back sweetening with concentrate.

I've used good ole safale05 and lav 1118. I like safale 05 because it's flavor is very neutral and clears well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I mostly use EC-1118 and it work really well it usually finishes to 0.998 and dry taste so I sorbate and back sweeten then force carb, but my last batch I used Lavlin D47 its just about finished but I did notice that it didn't clear as well as the Lavlin EC-1118 I put it into the keg today and force carbing it now.

I did a trial with 6 different yeasts last year and nottingham won out. It gets the booze but leaves behind a proper sweet apple flavor without going all sour patch kids....

Back