newbie carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfieBrew

Reaction score
I hooked my fist keg up the the CO2 last night and I checked for leaks with some water/star san. I didn't see any bubbles. So I proceeded to increase the pressure to 10 PSI and then released, repeated, released, then pressured to 20 PSI to set the seals, released, and finally pressured to 10 PSI and went to sleep. The tank volume was at around 650 at that time and this morning it is at around 600. Does the beer absorb that much CO2 or do I likely have a leak? Also, the tank and regulator are in the keezer with the keg. I haven't decided where I want to keep the tank outside yet. Can anyone give me some incite?

Was the tank at room temp when you started? Putting it in your keezer/kegerator will chill down the CO2 and lowers the pressure your high pressure regulator sees.

My tank was outside (~40°F) and reading about 400. I moved it inside to warm up overnight and it went to ~800. My second tank was about the same and it it didn't change when becoming warmer. It went empty a week later. Sooooo, vapor pressure on CO2 does change with temp.

When I force carb at about 30 psi I remove the tank connection and close the valve because my 2nd regulator leaks. Checking a new brew the next morning it is usually is below 10psi in a non-leaking keg. Sooooo, yes, the first few days, it will absoarb a lot of CO2.

Okay thanks. I was ready to keg and forgot I never went to get CO2 so I went to a paintball store and filled it, went home, hooked it up, and put it in the keezer. I'm sure it was at a much warmer temperature. For future reference, under normal conditions (assume my CO2 is outside keezer), I should follow the same procedure and leave the pressure valve in the open position so that the keg is constantly under the 10LBS of pressure allowed by the regulator? or is it eventually closed off? I assume it needs to remain open to serve from the tap.

You want to leave the valve open on the regulator. If not, you aren't replenishing the CO2 that goes into solution or pushing beer. When I close valve on the regulator I can usually push another 3 or 4 pints, but that's it.

My tank was outside (~40°F) and reading about 400. I moved it inside to warm up overnight and it went to ~800.

Your right. I drilled a hole through my collar to keep my CO2 and Regulator outside of the keezer and the volume jumped back up to ~760 at room temperature of about 68 degrees.

Latest posts

Back